Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-09, 23:55

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 185/133.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Wow. Just...wow.

Well...no offense, but if anyone actually believes this they need to spend a little time researching our early origins. Others have said it better then me, but we DO eat meat raw. The Inuit eat raw meat all the darn time, and the reindeer herders (russian?) I forget where, but there was a GRAPHIC picture of this little girl covered in fresh, brilliant red deer blood, having feasted on this deer from their herd that was just killed. They need to do this because the climate is so horribly harsh that they can't get vegetable food there. They need to eat the animal raw so they can get all the nutrients they need to survive.

Not to mention. Fish can be caught by hand. And fish can and IS eaten raw all the time (sushi). There was this special where this group of fishermen where "tickling" and catching these catfish with nothing but their fingers. Wild!

Anyway...you have to really be reaching to believe we didn't evolve while eating and to eat...meat.

On a side note........when I read that article...I think the author was caught up in the idea that we didn't/can't chase down a deer and rip out it's jugular with our teeth. I don't think she considered that so MUCH of the living, feeling world around us is made of meat (frogs, fish, bugs, etc) and very, very catch-able with nothing but bare hands.

EDIT!

They are called the Komi! Russian deer herders. And don't take my word for it, here are some pictures:

http://foto.ravna.no/shopexd.asp?id=4499

http://foto.ravna.no/shopexd.asp?id=4478

http://foto.ravna.no/shopexd.asp?id=4479

http://foto.ravna.no/shopexd.asp?id=4481

A journey back to a time not so long ago, for all of us.

Last edited by Maerow : Mon, Jun-22-09 at 00:11.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 03:25

Plan: Atkins (Strict)
Stats: 243/211/199 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Default Passion is Great Until It Blots Out Reason

I think it is obvious to many readers here that "BO" has allowed passion to close her mind off to reality. I truly mean no disrespect by this. I feel this is a common occurrence in the human race and should be addressed here in this regard. People are entitled to their belief systems but I feel it is extremely unfortunate and counterproductive when people make reality justify their beliefs. I hope that BO can realize that justifying one's beliefs by manufacturing false evidence is counterproductive to one's own well being. If someone wants to believe that "meat is murder" or some-such thing, I feel they are entitled to their belief. Just don't make up nonsense and try to convince others that there is validity to it. That is just plain wrong.
I have kept an open mind with regard to the Atkins way of life despite an overwhelming personal life experience and intimate knowledge of human physiology, medicine, and nutrition ( I am a medical doctor with a BS in cellular biology and I have been living this life and researching it on a regular basis since 1996). Yet, I believe, I try to keep an open mind. Just so you know, I tried a vegetarian lifestyle while I was in college and I lost weight, but I was never so weak or miserable in my life. My girlfriend and myself would go to the vegetarian restaurants where we lived and order the "veggie burger" because it "tastes just like meat". Why do you think they advertise that in that way? Interestingly I was also taking a college course in physical anthroplogy at the time (the study of man's evolutionary origins). Well I think there are enough links in this thread that any open minded person would have to see the light about our omnivorous (if not purely carnivorous) origins. This is what I saw and learned all those years ago in undergrad university.
Also, I think it should be mentioned that in less "entitled" societies people still do hunt and kill animals for survival. Yes, even with our less than razor-sharp canine incisors. I think it is inhumane[/I] to deny this. Any social studies site should enlighten you to the third world. You really should wake up to this [I]fact. And do not look at these people as inferior in some way because God has not graced them with the luxury [/I] of being in a society where people could [I]even conceive the possibility of living a vegan life!...[I thank God everyday that I am so graced to be able to live the Atkins life here in the "entitled" USA by the way!].
Finally, part of the reason I read the "war zone" is to see if there are wholes in my reasoning or knowledge. I check out the references as I am constantly challenged by others (including some fellow physicians who have bought the old "party line " [which IS dying out- thank God] that meat is unhealthy and that a diet high in complex carbs (and sugars!) is necessary for health.
For your own sake, Bo, I emplore you not let your passion cloud your judgement, close you off to the facts, or keep you from good reasoning; in this and all things. I will try to do the same. Good luck.

Last edited by Daveysdad : Thu, Jun-25-09 at 03:38. Reason: missed word
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 08:07

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
One of the most ridiculous and persistent false claims made by armchair nutritionists, meatarian propagandists, and even academics, who really should know better, is that the human species is an "omnivore"; that is, it should eat both plant and animal matter.

Correct - we're carnivores

Quote:
In general, this error is based on the accidental, or perhaps intentional, confusing of the verbs "to be" and "to do". If the human "is" a natural omnivore, then we should have ALL the physical and biochemical equipment that is NECESSARY to run down, kill with our bare hands, tear asunder, eat, and properly digest, RAW animal prey, just as ALL natural omnivores, or carnivores, do. Just looking at our bodies will conclusively prove that we do not have the claws or talons necessary to catch and hold animal prey, and we do not have the sharp, shearing teeth necessary to tear, not chew, animal flesh. We are not fast enough to outrun and catch animals. Natural omnivores or carnivores do NOT chew their eaten flesh, they tear it into chunks and swallow them whole. We do not have the "constant tendency for the last upper premolar and the first lower molar to engage and form long longitudinal opposed shearing blades (the carnassials)", which are a common characteristic of natural carnivores and omnivores. No human cultural-carnivore kills its animal prey with his/her natural equipment, nor do they eat their animal prey raw. I have challenged countless meatarians to do so in the past 30 years, and NONE have shown the courage of their conceptual convictions and done so.

I suppose the root of that nonsense is that the author envisions our earliest ancestor running down a mastodon then killing and eating it with his bare hands. I can think of many animals we can outrun, catch and eat. Many ground birds, small mammals, the offspring of larger game (in fact many carnivores specifically target the young wobbly kneed easy targets), amphibians, reptiles, eggs, burrowing animals (especially easy for humans to get at), mollusks, crustaceans, insects, fish, etc.) I love that in 30 years the author has never found anyone with the courage to eat a raw animal, talk about sheltered existence and a limited circle of friends.

Ask any survival expert, or better yet allow my man Bear Grylls to demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGk3...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6boG...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXuF...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSw7uwx3Mrc&feature=fvw

Quote:
Why? Simply because we are NOT an "omnivore". In fact, we have strong anti-killing instincts. Try to kill an animal with your bare hands to demonstrate this.

I'm reminded of Alexei Sayle's "I like strangling budgies, I'm what you'd call an animal lover." Classic tune

Quote:
Any second-grader could differentiate between the verbs "be" and "do",

Wrong, go ask a second grader that question - just listen to the contrived rambling you'll get, that's if they even go at it straight up, you're as likely to listen to "uhmmm one likes honey, and one you flush down the toilet". The author obviously knows as many second graders as "meatarians".

Quote:
because some humans DO murder, and because murder has existed throughout human history, ALL humans ARE born murderers.

It's been put forward many times that we are; As a species we love to go to war, go open a newspaper if you doubt it. What keeps us in check from murdering one another regularly is our evolved socialization, philosophical and/or religious beliefs, fear of retaliation or failure, the legal system we've constructed to help curb our natural inclinations, etc. When the going is easy, we're pretty easy going, but drop two random people in a situation with resources for only one to survive, and the gloves come off rather quickly. Go take a look at the rank and file of any brutal despot's child army, and you'll see how easy it is to get us in touch with our inner murderer.

First fruitarianism now veganism; Where do you find this drivel?

Quote:

Ahhhh, You're going to have to pace yourself BoBoGuy, or pretty soon your going to run of crazy sites to troll the low-carb war zone forum with... I checked out the link but had to quickly click away in disgust when I saw that the page's author did their Header in "Comic Sans MS", pathetic yet apropos.

Last edited by frankly : Thu, Jun-25-09 at 08:44. Reason: apostrophizing
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 11:39

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

I thought the point of the War Zone is to post controversial thoughts and ideas that we can all weigh in on. I appreciate Bo s post as I've actually learned a lot as people posted refuting evidence.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 17:47

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveysdad

Bo, I implore you not let your passion cloud your judgment, close you off to the facts, or keep you from good reasoning; in this and all things. I will try to do the same. Good luck.

Will try. Your comments were appreciated!

As Sue mentioned, we often gain knowledge and insight by analyzing respected refuting evidence. See Frankly's above.

Best wishes and thanks again.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Fri, Jun-26-09 at 11:09. Reason: goofed
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveysdad

I feel this is a common occurrence in the human race and should be addressed here in this regard. People are entitled to their belief systems but I feel it is extremely unfortunate and counterproductive when people make reality justify their beliefs. I hope that BO can realize that justifying one's beliefs by manufacturing false evidence is counterproductive to one's own well being.

Sorry, I just can’t let this rest.

From your physicians perspective, I’m convinced many would be pleased to hear your views on this Manufactured False Evidence?

Sincerely.

Bo
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 15:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Humans have but a single trait that makes them human: The ability to learn.

And also the ability to reason and to problem solve on a much more sophisticated level than other creatures.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 13:45

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
And also the ability to reason and to problem solve on a much more sophisticated level than other creatures.

Ezzactly! And what is the seat of this ability to learn and to solve complex problems? The brain. Just like any other part of the body, when it's malnourished, it can't function properly. It follows that whatever functions it performs will also be affected by malnourishment.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-09, 06:11

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default chimpanzees, those cute little frugivores

Chimps love meat. They go out of their way to hunt down monkeys, who are quite terrified. The interesting part is that chimps don't tear their monkey cousins apart with their teeth (those big canines are apparently a form of social communication... its unclear), no... they tear those monkey cousins apart with their hands.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-09, 14:48
LUST For The Moment

Plan: LC/VLC
Stats: 167/139/137 Female 5'7"
BF:5'7"
Progress: 93%

Eating less, if it is a high-quality diet, will improve your health, delay aging

Bo:

Isn't there highly contradictory data about the relevance of BMI for longevity???? Intuitively, we all sense that a normal BMI decreases risks of diabetes and arteriosclerotic heart disease, but there are studies in non-smokers which show a correlation with longer life in folks with BMIs over 25.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-09, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly

You're going to have to pace yourself BoBoGuy, or pretty soon your going to run out of crazy sites to troll the low-carb war zone forum with.

Good advice! Stumbling upon first-rate information is progressively becoming more difficult.

Thanks.

Bo