Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 13:17
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD DailyDish
Return to Phase 1
If you overindulged, you may have to go back to Phase 1 in order to eliminate cravings. Fortunately, the South Beach Diet is a flexible plan that accommodates real life. In other words, you can alternate between the three Phases as necessary — by going back to the strictest Phase when you need to get back on track, for example, or stepping into Phase 2 or 3 so you'll have more choices during the holidays or vacations.

I knew I've read that somewhere!! Thanks Demi!!

This is the way I manage my weight in maintenance and it was also the way I kept the scale moving when I was still losing...floating beween the phases works!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-07, 02:30

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From today's free SB email newsletter:

Quote:
Top 10 Tips for Handling Leftovers

If you're eating the South Beach Diet way, you're cooking and eating delicious, fresh, and nutrient-dense foods. And when you create a fantastic meal, there's nothing like eating it two (or three or four) nights in a row. At the same time, it's better to rid your fridge of some leftovers before harmful bacteria flourishes. If you're wondering whether to eat or to toss what's left of last week's dinner, check out this list of answers to 10 frequently asked questions about leftovers:

1. How long before I need to refrigerate my leftovers?
Within two hours of purchase or preparation. Be extra careful about getting meat and dairy products into the fridge promptly, and make sure they are properly sealed.

2. How long can I keep refrigerated leftovers?
About three to five days.

3. How do I store leftovers?
Divide large amounts of leftovers between several clean, shallow storage containers (1-2 inches deep). Make sure storage lids seal tightly, or cover the container with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Place storage containers at least 2 inches apart in the refrigerator — this allows cold air to circulate.

4. How long can I keep cooked lean meat and meat dishes?
Three to four days in the refrigerator and two to three months in the freezer. Raw beef can be stored for six months to a year in a freezer set below 0°F.

5. How long can I keep cooked lean poultry and poultry dishes?
Three to four days in the refrigerator and four to six months in the freezer set below 0°F. Raw poultry can be stored for nine months to a year in a freezer set below 0°F.

6. At what temperature should I keep my refrigerator?
40°F.

7. What's the best way to keep track of how long my leftovers have been in the fridge?
Label and date every container, and keep the older containers toward the front of the fridge.

8. What if I'm unsure how long my leftovers will keep?
Check them daily for signs of spoilage, such as an odd odor or color, and be on the lookout for any indication of mold.

9. Can I taste leftovers to see if they are still fresh?
If in doubt, throw it out. Never taste a questionable leftover.

10. What if my refrigerator is too full for everything?
Clean it out, getting rid of old leftover containers or questionable foods. Cold air needs to circulate to keep foods fresh.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/publi...dd_20071124.asp
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 07:54

BF:

Quote:
Finding Time to Exercise During the Holidays

Chances are, your calendar is booked through New Year's with parties, shopping excursions, family gatherings, and other seasonal activities. While plans with friends and family may disrupt your regular exercise routine, there are still simple ways to get your fitness fix during the holidays. As Dr. Arthur Agatston, preventive cardiologist and author of The South Beach Diet, advises, some exercise is better than none (although 30 minutes most days of the week is best), so it makes sense to squeeze in as much as you can manage. Here are four tips to help you work it out:

Get up a little earlier
Set your alarm earlier than usual and do a short workout or a yoga or stretching routine. Exercise will help energize you for the busy day ahead; plus, doing your fitness routine first thing in the morning makes it less likely that other things — like a business lunch or a weeknight party — will interfere.

Plan a family activity
Involve everyone in a friendly game of tag or touch football; check out an ice rink and go skating; or head to a nearby town for some strolling and window-shopping.

Manage your time in the kitchen
If you're hosting a crowd, try to get a head start and prepare as much as you can in advance so that you have more time for your own pursuits. Take shortcuts, like buying prewashed veggies, premade hummus, or jarred minced garlic. By minimizing your prep work, you'll reduce stress — and have time for a short daily walk!

Recruit a few helpers
Get your family members involved in meal preparations, decorations, and cleanup — and spend the time you save on getting in some exercise.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/publi...dd_20071129.asp
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 04:12

BF:

Quote:
6 Party Tips

Whether it's a family dinner or an office gathering, if you're committed to a healthy lifestyle, you may be concerned about the next holiday party. But if you're following the South Beach Diet, there's no need to fret. "Delicious holiday food fits right in with this plan because it's a lifestyle. Eating the South Beach Diet way is about making better food choices — and allows you occasional indulgences during the holidays," says Dr. Arthur Agatston, preventive cardiologist and author of The South Beach Diet.

Here are six simple strategies to help you stay on track:

1. Move into Maintenance
During the holidays, eating the South Beach Diet way gives you even more leeway with Phase 3, which Dr. Agatston recommends for both newcomers as well as veterans of his eating plan. "This maintenance Phase is the best strategy for maintaining weight and partaking in holiday fare because this Phase allows for all foods," says Dr. Agatston.

2. Eat Before You Go
If you arrive at a party starving, everything will look and smell delicious, leaving you vulnerable to making unhealthy choices. But if you eat a healthy meal or snack beforehand, you'll be able to make better decisions about what you eat at the party, including which items you truly want to splurge on.

3. Meet and Greet
Don't station yourself by the buffet table. Mingle! Holiday parties are a great time to catch up with old friends or make new ones.

4. Bring a Dish to Share
Chances are your host will appreciate it if you bring a delicious South Beach Diet dish for everyone to enjoy. For recipe ideas and additional holiday tips, visit SouthBeachDiet.com. Not a member? Sign up today for more than 1,000 delicious recipes, expert advice, a supportive community, and more.

5. Become More Knowledgeable
Knowledge is power, after all. Make sure you fully understand the healthy eating principles of the South Beach Diet — choosing delicious, fiber-rich, nutrient-dense foods that satisfy your appetite while keeping cravings at bay — so that you can make the right choices.

6. Enjoy an Indulgence
A commitment to a healthy lifestyle is about making good choices most of the time while allowing yourself enjoy some sinful indulgences this time of year. Decide which of those unhealthy foods — like Grandma's pecan pie — are really worth the splurge and then eat a little of those in addition to the healthy foods you're accustomed to eating.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/publi...dd_20071203.asp
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 03:07

BF:

From today's free South Beach Daily Dish email:

Quote:
Hanukkah Recipes on the South Beach Diet

Whether it's a family dinner or an office gathering, if you're committed to a healthy lifestyle, you may be concerned about the next holiday party. But if you're following the South Beach Diet, there's no Hanukkah dishes often contain ingredients that have a symbolic meaning. Oil, for example, represents the one-day supply of oil that miraculously burned for eight days when Jews in ancient times reclaimed their temple in Jerusalem.

It's important to enjoy your holiday traditions, and the South Beach Diet philosophy is about making the most nutritious food choices while allowing for indulgences on special occasions. That's why we've reinvented some Hanukkah dishes — to help you celebrate the festival of lights while leading the South Beach Diet lifestyle.

South Beach Diet® Blintz (Phase 1) ~ Cheese Latkes (Phase 2) ~ Quick Cheese Blintzes (Phase 3)

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/publi...dd_20071204.asp
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 03:52

BF:

From today's free South Beach Daily Dish email:

Quote:
Holiday Advice

If you're thinking of starting the South Beach Diet during the holidays, here's some advice you won't want to miss. According to Dr. Arthur Agatston, leading preventive cardiologist and author of The South Beach Diet, the holiday season — with its endless parties and goodies — is a challenging time to try to change the way you eat...but it's not impossible.

"Enjoying the festivities is part of the South Beach Diet lifestyle," says Dr. Agatston, "which I designed to be flexible and to accommodate special celebrations. That means you can commit to eat better and healthier over the holidays while still partaking in a bit of holiday indulgence." To do so, Dr. Agatston recommends starting in Phase 3, which is the most liberal Phase of the South Beach Diet, for both newcomers as well as veterans of his eating plan.

"Phase 3 is the best strategy for maintaining weight and partaking in holiday fare because this Phase allows for all foods, even an occasional 'sinful' treat," he says. "So you can allow yourself some of the things you know aren't that good for you, as well as a glass or two of wine (or another South Beach Diet–approved cocktail)."

Have these things along with the fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins that are the staples of the South Beach Diet. Then, once the New Year comes, you can start following Phase 1, which is particularly good for people who have a lot of weight to lose or who are experiencing cravings. Or you can begin in Phase 2 - the ideal starting point for those who have 10 pounds or less to lose.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/p...d_20071213.aspx
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 06:50

BF:

Quote:
Five Ways to Handle Sweet Gifts

The holidays are a time for gift giving. For many, that means being on the receiving end of either a tin of caramel-covered popcorn, a box of fudge, or a traditional fruitcake. If you're following the South Beach Diet lifestyle, you already know that sugary sweets can cause blood sugar swings that lead to a vicious cycle of cravings, eating more refined carbs, and ultimately, gaining weight. That's not to say you can't indulge a little. The South Beach Diet is a lifestyle, after all — one that makes sense during the holidays and every day. But it helps to have an action plan in place this time of year. Then, when the food gifts start to pile up, you'll know which ones you want to sample — and what to do with the rest.

1. Have plenty of spare ribbon and colorful cellophane on hand so you can rewrap Christmas cookies (and other sweets) to give to your mail carrier, dry cleaner, or babysitter.

2. Find a festive serving platter, and bring tempting sweets you received to the next holiday party, where they can be shared and enjoyed by other partygoers.

3. Consider a gift swap with a family member or friend. Did your neighbor receive a carton of fresh citrus fruits? Perhaps she'd be willing to trade it for your fancy box of petits fours.

4. Drop hints to your family and close friends. Is there something special you've had your eye on? Tell your aunt you've been admiring the latest wine opener — then hope that she takes the hint and sends it to you in lieu of her traditional candy tower!

5. Remember that holidays come but once a year. It's okay to allow yourself a few bites of your favorite holiday pie or, best of all, a little dark chocolate (which has antioxidants that are good for your heart!) — as long as the rest of your meals and snacks fit the South Beach Diet healthy eating guidelines. If you continue to follow the plan — which includes exercise — as best you can, you'll stay on track and avoid those excess holiday pounds.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com:80/sb...d_20071221.aspx