Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 14:41

Plan:
Stats: //145
BF:
Progress:
Question

I live on in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and I was wondering if anyone could tell me of any place where I can buy any of the low carb ingredients for baking(soy flour, protien powder, etc...) or if their are any premade baking mixes available in this area? I am both a newby to this board and a newby to low carbing, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, it seems like this way of eating is more expensive then my old high carb way of life, any advice on not spending a fortune and sending my food bill through the roof?? Thanks in advance, Sally
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 15:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile hi Sally, welcome to our forum

If you click on Shopping on the red menu bar at the top of the page, then click on BC, you'll find a list of stores and shops, and the lowcarb items they carry - that other members have sent in. Just might be something in your area!

On the subject of expense, I find I'm saving money because I'm not buying the chips and breads, and prepared processed foods, pastas (and those pricey sauces) .. and boxed breakfast cereal is pretty expensive too. I buy meats, chicken, eggs, tuna, etc.... fresh veggies and salad fixins, butter and olive oil. Diet Jello. A little cream for my coffee. Unless you do a lot of baking and the rich desserts and treats, then it gets expensive. I do use the whey protein shake mix, it's expensive, but I use it as a meal-replacement, and not every day, so it works out in the end. Back to the baking and lowcarb desserts and treats -- most lowcarbers only have these things once in a while ... even though they're "low" carb, they still can cause stalls if indulged on a daily basis. Same with those lowcarb bars. A better (and cheaper) snack would be a small pouch of nuts or sunflower seeds. Or a hard-boiled egg, or roll of cold meat. ...

Just my thoughts. Good luck in your search!

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I agree with Doreen. First thing a friend of mine said was when she was on this woe eating (for only two weeks mind you) that she thought it to be expensive.

Now, she makes way more money then I do a year... yet I find it not so bad. No more junk food buying, no more bread, etc...

Just like what Doreen says. I don't see where this is expensive other then should you choose to look outside of the grocery stores for the bars, bake mix etc....then yes you do go into more dollars.

On other diets in the past, I always found them more expensive due to having to buy their foods, low fat meals etc....Lets not forget the support system too...having to pay money.... to be told if you are doing things right or wrong!

Just wanted to put my two cents in as I tend to be a real penny pincher due to my income... due to being self employed....whew, that was a lot of dues....LOL

Wendy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 19:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:

Hi Sally,

I have to agree with the others, sticking to the basics is the best way to succeed with the diet and to save on money. I also don't find it any more expensive now that I don't buy any of the prepackaged products, etc.. I started out thinking that I would get into a new way of baking different kinds of treats, etc., but I have found out (the hard way , sadly) that keeping it simple makes the plan easier to follow. I rarely even buy premade or prepackaged meat products, I have gotten into the habit of making 'extras' at dinner to eat for lunch through the week.

That being said, I also hope plan to expand into the baking a little more once I get closer to goal/maintenance. These products are definitely more expensive. Most of the specialty things that people use in the recipes are available on the Island. Protein powders (I like the Jamieson brand with 0 carbs) and Atkins' bars (gulp - $3.69ea) can be found at Superstore. So can the flaxseed - to be ground into meal - which is in the bulk dept.. Nuts like hazelnuts (filberts), almonds, pecans, etc. are in the baking dept.. Even those disgusting pork rinds are in the popcorn dept. LOL.

Some of the things can be found in smaller health food stores, but Lifestyle Markets in Victoria carry just about every kind of soy flour, Atkin's mix, Atkin's syrup, nuts, meal, etc.. I haven't even tried most of these because most people seem not to care for them very much. You can also buy all of the flavours of the Designer Whey Protein Powder here, which seems to be a favourite for its taste. Buying here is less costly than at other health food stores.

At GNC at the Sear's mall you can also get other Atkin's products, like the supplements. Again, most folks seem to think that they are overpriced and somewhat overrated.

But the DaVinci syrups and the NotStarch, NotSugar products are not to be found around here. They can, however, be ordered from IslandGirl at her site LowCarb Food Experts. Link on the shopping page of this website.

Hope this helps,