Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 10:57

Plan: Anti-yeast
Stats: 138/128/125 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Can anyone advise me...?

Hello,

I don't think i've posted for over a month now. The reason is that I was yeast free! or so I thought.....

I really don't know what my diagnosis is. I've been trying this diet for 7 monthes. The reason why, is that I've been suffering from recurrent/permanent yeast infections. I don't have any other symptoms of Candida, so i thought this was supposed to mean it would be easier to get rid of. Seems I was wrong...

I thought I had finally kicked the yeast using Moseyman's SCD yogurt, so after a month of being fine, I stopped following the diet. I tried to do it gradually (for about 2 weeks), Then I just dove into eating EVERYTHING, which was great fun
Unfortunately, 3 weeks later the signs of a yeast infection started to redevelope.....

I'm back on the diet now, still eating the yogurt (never stopped, and i eat a LOT of it!), and the yeast infection is gone. BUT it's reached the point where i'm waaaaay more educated than my doctor is on the subject of yeast, and since i live in Korea, he's the only one I have to consult. He seems to have pretty much given up on me, and is all out of ideas.

I'm not sure what to do now... stay on the diet indefinitely??? or for just a bit longer...??
I'm hoping that you guys can give me some suggestions on what to do.... or with what's wrong with me. Anyone else suffering from yeast infections exclusively??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 11:41

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Too bad, you've got to be frustrated, I know. I have heard the recommendation to stick with the diet for a year after all symptoms have disappeared. It seems that for me the only symptom and die off effect I am getting is fatigue. I also have FM and CFIDS so it can be confusing. And I do have a mild yeast infection that seems to be gone but then comes back. Sometimes I wonder if it's really candida, but if I do that questionaire it comes out high even now when I feel better. I thought I'd be strict all week and then do regular Atkins induction (with unlimited veggies) as a break on the weekends, but it takes too long to recover from eating cheese, and eggs (I'm mildly allergic) so I'm seeing the need to be really strict long term. I don't even eat yogurt, just take the dairy free probiotics. It's funny how Atkins induction is a luxury for me now. I'm looking forward to reaching that point again! -Gail
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 11:59
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

I used to as well, and they really honestly did stop after i started this way of eating...i used to get one about once every two weeks...awful ones. Try taking acidophilus....its probiotic (like yogurt) but its a capsule...you can get it anywhere that sells vitamins...yogurt sometimes helps too....but i can't eat yogurt everyday or it stalls me. Its very possible that its your bloodsugar...thats what was causing mine...have you gone down the checklist ehy give you at the dr.....like unscented soaps, white clothing etc?
Also, are you sure that its yeast..and not a bacterial infection? They can be almost identical..and are often misdiagnosed.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 13:08
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Get some oregano oil, capsules or gels. If purchasing gels, get 150 mg. and take 300 mg 2-3 times/day. If the liquid, take 2 drops 2-3 times/day.