Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 23:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/170/165
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Modified CKD questions

Hey,

I am on a CKD right now, but my WO's are not the same as instructed.

I am a single parent and it is hard for me to to get to the gym all the times needed to follow the diet correctly. I do cardio 2 times a week.....one on a bike at the gym for say 30-45 minutes and the other a 2 hour basketball session (Saturday morning) once a week as well. I WO 3 times a week (Wednesday-Friday) in the gym and a lite WO or 2 at home(Monday and/or Tuesday) while watching my son.

What should my carb up day look like? When should I do it? Also, if I am trying to gain strength while cutting should I up my cals on WO days???

I have been doing a Keto diet now for about 1 1/2 months with a 2 week isocaloric diet a couple of weeks ago to give myself a break from Keto(Broke). I have been back on for 1 week now and want to get it right.

I lost a lot of fat while building some strength but I have about 5% more fat to lose. Maybe 8 pounds. I am M 5'10" 160 right now. I need to get a bigger upper body but I want to burn the gut off before bulking. Oh ya....I started at 180 and I don't know what my bf% was. Asian legs is all I have to say about my lower body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 10:43

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default answers

Quote:
What should my carb up day look like? When should I do it? Also, if I am trying to gain strength while cutting should I up my cals on WO days???

Carb-up day for your schedule should still be Friday, after your workout.

The diet provides plenty of protein for muscle and strength gains, so I would keep calories at the upper end (12 cals per pound of BW), not more than that. Use the CKD calculator to get the ratios tight for you.

As for your workouts, it looks as if you are doing enough to get what you are looking for, assuming intensity in the gym is good.

Looks like you got great results so far, and with 8 lbs. to lose you should be good to go ...

2 hours of b-ball huh? LOL. If you are ever in the South Jersey/Philly are let me know. Fern and I play all the time. it's nice to see other ballers on the board.

Keep us posted on your results, and let me know if you have any other questions (CKD. training, supplements, etc)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 13:15

BF:

Thanks a lot for your response Dan. I got another Question Though. I have been reading a lot of stuff about ALA on different forums lately and how it has helped people cut up some. I have used it before on cheat meals to keep me in Ketosis, but I was thinking about takig it now.

The thing is, do I up my carbs if I am taking the stuff? I was just going to take pre and post WO carbs with maybe 300mg each time. I wasn't going to go overboard with the ALA, but sometimes I do feel that I get a better WO with a few carbs in me. I was thinking 25g pre and 25g post carbs.

BBall......I suck, but I love to play. I am one of those people that just gets rebound after rebound and plays outrageous defense. Don't expect me to hit a lot of shots though. I used to play soccer and I was a goalie. The exact position that would benefit me in BBall, hands and hops.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 10:10

Default CKD to TKD

Using carbs pre and post workout is called a TKD ... TARGETED KETOGENIC DIET.

I am not a familiar with TKDs are I am with CKDs, but I know that there is info out there on the internet on TKDs.

I will poke around a little and see what I get ...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 00:21

BF:

THX Dan,

I decided to go with a straight CKD.....I am really sensitive when it comes to carbs and if I eat them I feel like crap for a couple of days.

I was gonna experiment with my diet a little, but I figured that if I just stick to something it is good. I have been keto'ing in one form or antoher for the last 2 months, but have yet to decide which one is perfect for me.

I have now decided and I am going with CKD.

I have been taking plenty of ALA with my carbs. Would it benfit me to take it while in ketosis? I eat about 20g of carbs a day, but one time it is my much needed cappacino I have to have on the days that I work.....WO days as well. I work at night so I need to caffeine. Should I take say 300mg ALA to make sure that the carbs are not all getting to me.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 12:44

Plan: CKD
Stats: 165/200/250
BF:
Progress: 41%

Bob, I would not bother with the ALA. What you need to understand is this: Ketosis does not CAUSE fat loss. Ketosis is CAUSED by fat loss (well, increaed fat oxidation in the liver).

It seems that you think that that using ALA on a moderate carb diet could maintain fat-loss while partitioning carbs to muscle glycogen for heavy lifting.

This is ONlY going to be the case if ALA only affects muscle cells in terms of incresaing insulin sensitivity. It does not; it affects both muscle and fat cells (as it must).

My advice: if you want to use ALA, take 300mg 30 min. before your coffee. Take your cappacino straight, no milk or sugar.

But don't get into the habit of thinking that ketosis is the endgame, and that ALA will keep you there.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 21:02

Default good info

Good post Mike. Nice observation.