Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 06:17

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Everyone's reaction to low carb (and Bernstein is considered very low carb) and how fast their BG numbers drop will be unique to the individual. Years ago when I went from a regular diet to low carb, I did have nausea and stomach upset for a few days. Feeling 'ill' is not uncommon for people when withdrawing from carbs...and you are withdrawing.

As others have said, make sure you aren't cutting back on the salt and make sure you're drinking enough fluids. Most poorly controlled diabetics have no trouble drinking enough fluids as they tend to be a bit thirstier. As our BG's come under control, at least for me, I had to have a physical reminder to drink water...and I would never have said I ever felt thirsty...but apparently on a subconscious level, I did. Now...never.

I would have to look back at my records but I think I stopped taking all my meds about a week or two into Bernstein (against the advice of my doc who thought I should eat more carbs to compensate for the crashes the meds were causing...good grief). My BG's were running about 130-145 2 hours after meals and my fasting was around 160. I didn't care...at least I didn't have the crashes and I wasn't over 200. As the days went on my BG's and fasting kept coming down. By about 2 months (?) my BG's were regularly about 90-95. I would guess that the determining factor for how quickly your BG's come down has to do with how insulin resistant you are...and Bernstein's diet...*all* of it and not just keeping low carb...is designed to reverse IR.

I've been following Bernstein consistently since January 1, 2013, and on June 15, 2013 (6 months after I started), my A1c was 4.9 (was 10.5 in January). Last September (?) it had dropped to 4.8. My IR is reversed *but* I don't take that as an excuse to once again eat tomatoes or any of the other foods that Bernstein says a diabetic does not need...because it's that slippery slope. First it's tomatoes and then pretty soon it's potatoes...and it may not take as long to go back to being IR again. Not worth the risk, IMHO. I've created new eating habits and stick to them because this is for my health...not to lose weight (although I did lose weight).

I've been maintaining my weight for over a year now and my lifestyle habits have done a complete about face. On the advice of the medical community, I used to eat 6 small meals...Bernstein believes that will contribute to IR. I used to follow the ADA diet of 140gm of carbs per day and the theory that all carbs were created equal. They aren't. Grain type carbs will raise my BG's (or used to) while I could eat the same number of carbs in green vegies without that same effect. Unlike Atkins that doesn't count protein grams, Bernstein does because excess protein can cause a glucogenic effect just like carbs.

Stick with it. I guarantee the rewards of getting your blood sugar under control, and most likely without meds, and being truly healthy is worth it. You didn't become IR and diabetic in a month, so don't expect to correct that problem in a month. Be patient. This is a life change...not a temporary diet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 07:24

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I went very low carb about three or four years before I was aware I was diabetic. At time of Dx (Ophth. saw serious retinopathy) my A1C was 5.7, low enough that my (wooden headed) Internist would not believe that I was diabetic. Despite my very low carb diet within a year of diagnosis I needed insulin. If blood sugars do not go down to acceptable levels with diet and exercise meds are indicated.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 11:35

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 248/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm doing fine, holding steady at this weight, no more loss just yet. Hurt my back recently so sticking to the occasional walk and bike ride.