Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 22:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 38%

jeanyyy you are a godsend! thank you!!!

I saw on another thread you said that there's no duty on groceries... is that true? does that include pop? any tips for crossing besides the license and BC? (yes, I was born here, I'm a Surrey-girl at heart... LOL)

hussaink... since this is my first trip, I'm not really sure what I'll find, if anything... but if I make a second trip, I'll be happy to let you know and pick some stuff up for ya. I even get in to Surrey once a week so we'd be able to meet somewhere for me to give it to ya. I just don't want to have to worry about someone else's stuff at this point.

thanks again, jeanyyy!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 22:48

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Babs, I never specifically looked into duty on pop.. just told them "groceries" when asked... and I always had an assortment of things, so it was true. I did find out one time that candy is subject to GST and PST, just like here, so pop might be too. Of course, that's if they bother to LOOK at what you've got and then, bother to figure it out! PS I haven't paid yet. If you saw that post, did you note the limits for certain things like cheese, poultry and so on? Oh, I should mention that I always keep all the receipts handy in my wallet, cos sometimes they do ask to see them and it's better not to fumble!

Just so you know, clothing that is made in the US is not subject to duty either... However, stuff made elsewhere is... duty and taxes. So I seldom buy clothing and certainly not when I have groceries, cos I don't want them looking too closely (pop and candy taxes, at least).

Last edited by jeanyyy : Mon, Oct-20-03 at 22:51.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 23:18

BF:

ahhh... okay, that makes sense. Thanks, I'll keep it in mind! I might be screwed anyways because I'll probably be picking up beer for my hubby at the same time... we'll see. It will be interesting either way. LOL
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 00:56

BF:

You know you're not allowed to bring beer back unless you've been away 24 hours? Someone mentioned in a thread somewhere that they were charged 13.50 in duty.. not sure on what quantity of beer, though.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:58

BF:

DOH! Nope, I didn't know that at all. Oh well, it's not like it's "real" beer anyways... I'm glad I checked here again before leaving though! Thanks!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 10:22

BF:

Yeah, booze and ciggies are a no-no unless you're away. And they do ask you that question on your way back in!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Stats: 146/113/105 Female 4ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 80%

That was me *sigh* I went to Point Roberts and brought back 2 6pks of Michelob Ultra and it wasn't just duty they charged, there's something called an "LCB Liquor Markup Tax". So all together all the duties and taxes were more than the cost of the beer!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:24

BF:

ew. that sucks. I got lucky, the guy didn't ask if I bought booze. I got a 12 pack of "imported" Kokanee and a giant bottle of wine.

Got some low-carb tortillas and SF candy and chocolate too. Plus a case of Diet Rite white grape. I can't wait to try it all out! Thanks for all your help!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:41

BF:

Cool, sounds like you made out like a bandit. I quite like the DietRite raspberry soda... only have one once in a while, but nice to know it's legal when I do!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 17:26
Registered Member

Stats: 146/113/105 Female 4ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 80%

He didn't ask me either, being the big mouth that I am I just told him what I bought! Can I ask why you would buy Kokanee in the states?
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 14:35

BF:

LOL... mostly because it was there. It wasn't actually a great deal, but it was a tiny bit cheaper than to buy it here. Plus there was the amusement factor of picking out the differences in the labels.

The SF Candy/choc are great... the Whole wheat tortilla sucks. Haven't tried the garlic tortilla yet though. The Diet Rite is awful too. Oh well, it was a fun day and a learning experience at least! LOL
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:20
Registered Member

Stats: 292/222/220 Male 6' 5"
BF:
Progress: 97%

The Low Carb Tortillias are available in Twassewan at the "Low Carb Solutions" store on 56th Street, If you don't want to go to the US. They are $5.50 for a package of 10. Not sure what the price is in Washington.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:47

BF:

blueowl, the price in the US varies - around $39 or so for 10, so $5.50 isn't bad at all. Have you seen the thread about the Low Carb get together in Vancouver on November 6th?