Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 16:53
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Carbs in Carrageenan

Karen,

Do you happen to know whether the carbs in carrageenan are mostly fiber, like the carbs in guar gum? I can't seem to find this information in any of the online counters, including the USDA, and my book certainly doesn't have it.

I'm asking because all of a sudden I can't seem to find any heavy cream without it, and all the labels are saying 1 gram per tablespoon, which would make whole milk a better carb bargain, which makes no sense at all

--Ruth

who wonders why they can't just leave the food alone!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 18:40

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default i'm wondering too...

why they can't leave the food alone - unsalted butter now has "butter flavor" added in the usa. huh? butter flavor? i guess i am going to have to buy a cow. LOL

i don't about the carbs in carageenan - but i certainly would like to know.

ditto on why can't they just leave the food alone?

ally
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 20:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I looked it up in Corinne T. Netzer under seaweed and under its other name, Irish moss: 1 oz. raw, 3.5 grams carbs, .4 grams fiber.

I would imagine that the amount is fairly inconsequential and is included in the carb count on the label.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 00:45
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks, Karen --

Looks like I'm going back to half and half in my coffee until I can find some cream without added carbs.

--Ruth
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 01:30
Forum Founder

BF:

Generally organic cream does not have any additives. Keep in mind that half and half is higher in carbs than heavy cream.

I don't mind the carageenan in cream since it's only seaweed. What really p's me is when sugar is added.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 13:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

For the record, the amount of dextrose that's added to most commercial creams is very, very small, no more than 1/10th of 1% by weight. It's added not as a sweetener, but to balance and control pH.

I dug up an ancient post of mine from the Lowcarb Canada e-group where I'd done a lot of digging through federal and provincial regulations about additives in dairy products. Here it is ..
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've scoured the dairy product regulations of all provinces, as well as Federal, here's what I came up with:

re - dextrose/glucose added to cream,

The law states it cannot be more than 0.1% of the total weight. Thus, 1 Tbsp (15 ml) weighs 15 gm ... 0.1% of 15 is 0.015 gm. That's a very teeensy amount. Consider that a packet of SugarTwin has 0.5 gm dextrose in it. That's 33.33 times as much!! So, unless you are glugging down heavy cream by the cupful, a couple Tbsp per day in your coffee, maybe a bit in a recipe now and then, PROBABLY isn't going to stall your weight loss efforts. Remember that even the additive-free cream naturally contains some carbs in the form of LACTOSE.

re - cream with or without additives????

The additive-free product definitely tastes nicer, and it whips to a firmer texture, holds its shape better. If you have the luxury of funds, and a local supplier, this is wonderful to use if you want the cream to be the "center of attention", eg, served plain or whipped as the crowning glory on top of a simple dessert or some fresh berries. The down-side of additive-free is that it's more likely to turn into butter if you overbeat it (make sure the beaters and bowl are ice-cold). Also, you should shake the carton before using, to disperse the fat globules, which will rise to the top and cling to the inside walls of the carton.

If you are just using the cream for your coffee, or cooking with it in strong-tasting recipes (cheese sauce, chocolate candy, etc), the delicate flavour of the cream gets lost anyway. Again, if you're only consuming small amounts on a daily basis, the miniscule amounts of any additive, IMHO, is of little consequence to your weight loss efforts and your overall health.

As always, personal preference (and skinny wallets) will prevail!!

Happy lowcarbing!!! from Doreen.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 19:40

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

RGale:

I noticed you're in my neck of the woods...

I had the same reaction when I started looking at cream containers at Cash-n-Carry and Costco--why on earth do they have to do that to perfectly good local cream?

Albertsons store brand and Trader Joes organic has no additives. A little more $$$ per carton, but worth it for the taste.

Enjoy.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:11
Forum Founder

BF:

Reading Doreen's post reminded me of something else about cream. Depending on the manufacturer, the butterfat content will differ. The higher the percentage - usually up to 36% - the better the cream will whip. It will also thicken faster when reduced in sauces.

Karen