Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-15, 19:38

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Rotator Cuff Tear?

Anyone ever had one? I'm having an MRI in the morning to get it checked out but my doc suspects I could have a tear. I've had some prett bad pain in my shoulder with certain movements and then just dull achy pains otherwise for about two months now! From everything I read, I really just end up confusing myself. It seems to line up with a tear, but I don't know.

Anyone else experience this and find out it wasn't a tear?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-15, 19:50
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Not me, but DH was suffering a lot from shoulder pain. The doctors weren't able to decide what was causing it. I remember that I got him heating pads special for the shoulder. We tried salves. I think I even took him to the chiropractor. Since he wasn't working or playing sports, we ruled out the muscles and tendons as culprits. One day the pain got so bad that he called 911.

He was transported across town to UMC and kept in hospital, told he needed valve replacement surgery. After about a week in the hospital and running many more tests, they decided he only needed to have his gall bladder removed. Referred pain. They removed his gall bladder.

His shoulder doesn't hurt any more.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-15, 20:00

BF:

Wow! I've read a good bit and seen some about pain radiating from other areas to the shoulder. I think I definitely have an issue with my shoulder, I just don't know if I have an actual tear or not. I guess I'll know after tomorrow. I have a feeling it may just be bursitis or overuse issues. I definitely have pain with certain movements that would lend me to think it's a tear, as does the doc. Guess we shall see!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-15, 20:14

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I had a rotator cuff injury or frozen shoulder, but pain killers didn't do a thing for it. A surgeon will recommend surgery, but cannot promise that the pain will go away or that full motion will be recovered. Instead I found exercises (esp. the anterior shoulder stretch with towel and stretching the back of the shoulder) cured my problem in a couple of weeks after a year of living with pain.
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus...ions/000357.htm
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-15, 20:35

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have really weak rotator cuffs (my mother's had a tear - did not do surgery and it resolved on its own). I proactively do the exercises that were linked to, mostly the internal rotation with band which has done to most for me to prevent injury over the years. I have had pretty bad pain that was not a tear (and had a lot of referred pain to the shoulder from ovarian cysts, too). If you get in the habit of strengtheining your shoulders, you can cut the risk of reinjury.

I hope yours is not really torn and you can get back to normal soon!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 02:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hey BWorthy
How's the family and your new little pumpkin?
Are you maintaining your weight loss and back to playing football? Lifting weights? If this shoulder pain came after weight-lifting or a rough game...stop doing that brilliant no? But that's what my DH needed to do...took months of resting that part, working out around it, but eventually the pain resolved. Another friend tore hers on a highly competitive tennis team from power serves and choose the surgery route. Awful pain for an awful long time, months of rehab. Think it was a year before she started playing again. Crazy to go back...it is time to hang up the racquet. So if the option to let it heal is there, consider that...the surgery is no magic solution where the pain disappears.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 05:31

BF:

JEY100 - yeah, maintaining pretty well. Coming up on two years since I started. I float around in that 5lb range from about 242-247. I'd still like to get a little more off but I'm happy with maintaining and happy with my numbers right now. I did play another football game in May and hoping to play another in December if this isn't too serious!

I don't remember an injury related to the football either, it just came up. And I've heard similar experiences about the surgeries, that's what worries me! Thanks for checking in!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 08:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow, Glenda! That's a heck of a story. Almost had heart surgery because of a misdiagnosed gall bladder problem?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 18:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
JEY100 - yeah, maintaining pretty well. Coming up on two years since I started. I float around in that 5lb range from about 242-247. I'd still like to get a little more off but I'm happy with maintaining and happy with my numbers right now. I did play another football game in May and hoping to play another in December if this isn't too serious!

I don't remember an injury related to the football either, it just came up. And I've heard similar experiences about the surgeries, that's what worries me! Thanks for checking in!

You know, I just noticed how much weight you'd lost. When I lost 100 pounds I turned into Gumby and got really vulnerable to tears and strains because my joints got hyperflexive. I actually changed my goal weight over this. You might not want to do that but you might want to give your body some time to adjust and really concentrate on building strength and staiblity. My favorite exercise to stabilize my shoulders is throwing a weighted ball against the wall. It's working wonders for me right now.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 19:48

BF:

Jschwab - I lost the majority of my weight in like 8 months too! Haven't lost much over the last year. It's funny you mention that though. My joints seemed to hurt worse after I lost all the weight! It was crazy. You bring up some good points - I do need to start doing some weight training though!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 20:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
Jschwab - I lost the majority of my weight in like 8 months too! Haven't lost much over the last year. It's funny you mention that though. My joints seemed to hurt worse after I lost all the weight! It was crazy. You bring up some good points - I do need to start doing some weight training though!

Yes, mine was very quick, too. I ended up detaching my abdominal muscle from the pubic bone which was a really traumatic injury plus a bunch more minor injuries, all at goal weight when I figured I'd be more fit. It couldn't have been further from the truth! The rotator cuff is something I have to watch like a hawk when I lose weight.

I hope you feel better soon and it all heals up!