Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/ NEANDERTHIN
Stats: 175/161/168
BF:4%
Progress: 200%
Default Dairy and Grains...are they that bad?

I have been studying the history of various diets throughout history as well as literature on "Paleo" diets. When man switched to agriculture, he lost stature and physical strength....this is was the Paleo diet books tell us. But I think maybe this is because many early agricultural societies (except the rich and elite) depended too much on grain alone for their daily nutrition. Naturally, they would not be consuming enough complete proteins. But what about people who ate grains, fermented dairy products, and lots of meat as well? Example: The Romans (mostly grain eaters) were intimidated and very impressed with the physiques of their Celtic foes who consumed such a diet. What about the Vikings? Their enemies saw them as towering monsters of incredible strength. The Viking diet included lots of meat, buttermilk, soured milk, whole grain porridge, etc. Could it be that only the societies that depended too much on grain for nutrition suffered serious physical consequences?....Food for thought!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Before 1992, I ate mostly meat, fruit, and green vegetables. I didn't eat much grain. I could hike miles through the mountains, climb hills, play sports...all without tiring. I could run the mile easy. About 1992, I started eating more grain and starchy veggies. I ate less fruit and green veggies. But, meat still dominated my diet. I started gaining weight. I could still play sports, but I tired sooner. I could still do several chin ups...even when I was overweight.

In 1996, I was overweight. So, I went to a dietician...who put me on a low-fat/hi-carb/low-calorie diet. A diet which turned out to be very high in grain. I lost the weight. I had lost 22 pounds, but found it hard to do some of the very exercises I'd done while I was overweight and eating lots of meat and potatoes. Even though I'd lost weight...it was actually harder for me to do chin ups and play sports.

I went off that diet and went to eating meat, starchy veggies, and grain. Unfortunately, I was still eating too much grain. I gained the weight back and then some. I went off to college in 1999. Having to pay for my own food...I went with the cheapest: grain in the form of Pasta and White Bread. Grain was now almost 100% of my solid food. After 3 years, I had gone from overweight to morbidly obese, my blood pressure was dangerously high, I tired just walking a few feet, was unable to sleep, and had horrbile heartburn.

Last December...I went on a Low-Carb diet, cut grain and starchy veggies almost completely out of my diet. I lost 100 pounds, almost a foot off my waist, went from morbidly obese back to overweight, my blood pressure normalized, I could sleep normal hours again, my heartburn went away, and I could once again walk miles without tiring. I cannot yet run the mile or play intense sports, like I used to. But, I'm alot better off than when I ate mostly grain.