Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 09:09

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Gaining weight...

Is it normal to gain weight when one first enters pre-m & m??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 12:44

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I did. I don't know if it is the extra carbs, water gycogen, or what. I have found that I needed to loose a few under goal to be AT goal. I have heard a few others say this as well. Also particular foods such as anything with grains puff me up. The reason I know that it is water is because after I eat it, I can't get my ring off. So it could be a particular food that your adding back. I don't know if this really addresses your question, it's just a thought.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I've noticed the same thing.

Somewhere I read that carbs need more water -- and I know that my rings get tight (almost immediately!) whenever I overdo the carbs. I've sort of thought it as the body getting back into "balance" and that I need to have a low weight of 125 to claim a "real" weight of 130....

I also find that salt does the same to me...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 13:36

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

So the five I gained when my carbs were upped big time was normal! Phew! I did add low carb bread...am going to leave it alone for a while, because two slices along with the butter and sugar free jam adds up to 20 carbs and that is just not acceptable! Well, not right now it's not. I want to finish getting the rest of that five off and get to work on the last ten as well as establish what is my carb limit!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 11:17

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I've gained the past 2 weeks and I'm getting scared, frankly.

I started adding more carbs (occas. berries, extra veggies, flaxseed muffins, almonds) about 2 weeks ago in an attempt to climb the carb ladder since I'd been on Induction levels of carbs since last August. BUT... I'm up about 4 lbs now and I'm getting nervous. Hadn't been losing really prior to this, but certainly hadn't gained either.

So, I've been wondering if I was even in ketosis when I started up the carb ladder. Or if I need to be. Not sure. I'm re-reading the original 1972 Atkins book right now and basically what I'm reading is that any time you gain about 3 lbs you should go right back to Induction (meats/eggs/cheeses/creams/small salads) until you get rid of them. So that's what I'm starting today.

Very basis Induction for 2-3 days to make sure I'm in ketosis, then going to start back up that ladder again -- SLOWLY. I just am not ready to give up on the idea of ever being able to eat more than 20 g/carbs per day again forever...at least not quite yet.

I've also decided to lay off of FitDay for a while and just count carbs. Period. It's too easy to get wrapped up in how many calories I've had or what my proportion of fat/carbs/protein are when I look at FitDay.

So here I go again. But I'm feeling very refreshed about the whole deal. I'll keep you posted...
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 11:42

BF:

Mammac, I was reading your post and a thought occurred to me. I have always held a belief about carbs and ketosis. I may be off, but I thought I would share.... Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.....

I don't necessaraly think climbing the carb ladder means being out of ketosis. You may be out of ketosis some of the time, but not all of the time. Say you eat 100 grams of carbs. 100x4= 400 cals. Now add to that your basic protien requirment and your fat component. Now take your min required calories. 163 X 10 = 1630. Now take in mind that your body burns carbs first. Your body is going to burn that 400 and then some throughout the day. Provided you are not eating an excess of protein, you body is going to have to run on ketones. When your in maintenance, your body is constantly swithching off between fuel sources like. This is why the blood lipid levels stay low in maintenance.

Now I purposly used a high number for carbs to illustrate a point. Your body can still be in ketosis on a 100 grams/day when consuming adaquate protein and fat. Now weather the insullin secreted in order to deal with the carbs is a whole other story. Any excess calories you may eat will be stored along with the carbs which results in weight gain. I have a feeling that is why Dr. A said to lower fats as you raise carbs.

I do not eat any more than 60gms a day TOPS. That is just a personal preferance, as i need to keep my insulin/PCOS symptoms under control. I also love to eat fat, and HF and HC are contraindicated.

Last edited by Bandito : Sat, Jul-23-05 at 11:54.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 16:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think you're right about that, Bandito. When I did Fat Flush a while back, I was eating a good 60 g carbs a day and I was in ketosis.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 22:34

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Mammac, I was reading your post and a thought occurred to me. I have always held a belief about carbs and ketosis. I may be off, but I thought I would share.... Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.....

I don't necessaraly think climbing the carb ladder means being out of ketosis. You may be out of ketosis some of the time, but not all of the time. Say you eat 100 grams of carbs. 100x4= 400 cals. Now add to that your basic protien requirment and your fat component. Now take your min required calories. 163 X 10 = 1630. Now take in mind that your body burns carbs first. Your body is going to burn that 400 and then some throughout the day. Provided you are not eating an excess of protein, you body is going to have to run on ketones. When your in maintenance, your body is constantly swithching off between fuel sources like. This is why the blood lipid levels stay low in maintenance.

I think you are right.

The first Protein Power book I read (30 Day LC Diet Solution) explained that PP (starting at 30/40 carbs) wasn't technically a "ketonic" diet....meaning that you may not experience the classic symptoms like those on Atkin's induction do that indicate ketosis. However, the insulin controlling, fat burning process that occurs allowing you to lose and later maintain weight is the same.

Quote:
Now I purposly used a high number for carbs to illustrate a point. Your body can still be in ketosis on a 100 grams/day when consuming adaquate protein and fat. Now weather the insullin secreted in order to deal with the carbs is a whole other story. Any excess calories you may eat will be stored along with the carbs which results in weight gain. I have a feeling that is why Dr. A said to lower fats as you raise carbs.

This is also in line with what I have learned from doing PP. We start at a higher carb level with "moderate" fat rather than "high" fat. However, when one stalls, the book suggests to cut back to the minimum level of protein rather than restrict fat.

Quote:
I do not eat any more than 60gms a day TOPS. That is just a personal preferance, as i need to keep my insulin/PCOS symptoms under control. I also love to eat fat, and HF and HC are contraindicated.

I love eating fat too, and would rather keep my carbs fairly low and keep enjoying fat ... both for personal preference and for the health benefits it seems to give me.

You have been able to have up to 60 carbs a day while high fat? If so, that would be ideal for me -- I'm still in the process of climbing the carb ladder, so I have no idea where I am going to end up.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 15:23

BF:

MeBLady,

I don't eat 60g's everyday. This is tops for me. Maybe 2 days a week at most. I vary my carbs, not mindfully though. I don't eat the same things every day. Pretty much eat what I want from within my LC template. My core is whole LC foods and occasionally I eat things not so LC. For example, I love berries. When I want somthing sweet, I will eat a crereal bowl FULL heated bluberries and strawberries. I pour on some LC milk and I am good to go. Probably equals a good 30 or so carbs. I don't know, never checked. Life has tought me that this is ok for me 2X a week as I have had minimal side effects. Same with and apple or a pear (and other friuts). I usually split one with my son. It is easy for the carbs to add up while the bulk of your diet is LC.

HTH

I forgot to add, that occasionally (once per month) I like to go out to eat. I eat the salad rolls, rice/beans, or whatever HC item accompanies my meal (built around protein). My only rules are only what comes WITH my meal, and absolutly NO to go boxes. Having a carby appetizer? No potato/pasta/roll with dinner. Hot wings for an appetizer? Then go ahead on the starch item that comes with dinner. I don't go carb crazy, and I use reason.

Last edited by Bandito : Fri, Jul-29-05 at 15:41. Reason: Forgot to add....