Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 05:37

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Thanks, Nancy.

So, what's the deal with IF? What's the idea behind it, and do you not eat anything until noon, or as little as possible to keep you from being really hungry, or what? I'm always hungry in the morning when I wake up, or at least about an hour after I wake up. What I usually eat is a couple of sausage patties (just meat and spices) for breakfast and that holds me until lunch.

Thanks for all y'all's (that's one I learned here in North Carolina) encouragement and input. The only real source of freakage was that they LDL-p numbers were much worse than I thought they'd be, and my HDL went down. I was hoping that with eight weeks and 25 pounds gone, I'd be in better territory, but then the lesson I decided to take away is that without this change I'd be much worse off. Diabetes and heart disease run in both sides of my family. This is just confirmed me in this way of eating even more strongly than ever before. It's now much more than just losing weight and improving my health along the way. This is about saving my life.

Thanks again. I appreciate the opportunity to share.

Plane
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 08:52
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Plane-
great post. Thanks!
I have been doing this WOL for over 4 years and my numbers are similar to yours (but HDL has gone up!) and I KNOW I have metabolic syndrome, and was headed towards T2 Diabetes too. Just stick with it- my lipids and CRP continues to improve over time. I no longer believe in the cholesterol theory of heart disease, but think these numbers reflect underlying issues (such as inflammation) that do affect my health.
I would recommend Good Calories/Bad Calories by Gary Taubes too-
E
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 19:30

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Very interesting post, I'll be watching to see how you do.

I'm also showing all the markers for Metabolic Syndrome. However, my FBS is coming down as of last week (99 down from 106 last time) and I posted my cholesterol data in another thread and my journal.

I saved those links you posted--good reading!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 22:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Check out the IF thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=343404

Stuart (Kneebrace) had a lot of issues with hunger (and hypoglycemia) too and he just extended his fasting time a little every day. That seems to work pretty well for me too.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 17:26
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Got my cholesterol results today. Planecrazy, i hope you don't mind me ressurecting and adding to this thread. I thought the links, info and comments in here pertained.

I had asked my doctor if I could have the test that evaluates LDL particle size, rather than the standard calculated LDL, and he ordered it.
I'm not sure how to interpret the results though, and he's no help... he had his nurse call me and say my LDL was too high, would i reconsider going back on a statin... maybe try another one like Zocor? That's all I'm going to get from him. Probably all he knows.

Anyway:
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Test Result Normal ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Directly Measured Lipid Total LDL-C Direct 183 <130 Total HDL-C Direct 72 >=40 Total VLDL-C Direct 24 < 30 Sum Total Cholesterol 279 <200 Triglycerides Direct 117 <150 Total NON-HDL-C(LDL+VLDL) 207 <160 Total APOB100 Calc 131 <109 LP(a) Cholesterol 8.0 < 10 IDL-C 20 < 20 Real-LDL-C 155 <100 Sum Total LDL-C 183 <130 Real-LDL Size Pattern A A Remnant Lipo (IDL+VLDL3) 35 < 30 Sub Class Information: HDL-2 (Large Bouyant) 20 >15 HDL-3 (Small Dense) 52 >25 VLDL-3 (Remnant Lipo) 15 <10

I'm gathering that my LDL is pattern A, so of no concern. If there's more information there about pattern size, I don't know how to interpret it. I looked at the site planecrazy linked to above for interpreting, and it talks about LDL-P (rather than LDL-C) and has numbers in a far different range than my test.
I've calculated my ratio to be 3.87, which is not quite as good as last time, (august) it was 3.5. Also in August, my triglycerides were 106 and my HDL 71. But Mikes post above could have the explanation for that:
Quote:
If you're losing weight I believe its normal for triglycerides to go up since you are burning some body fat (tryglyceride).

The only thing I've done different in the last 3 months (since my august test) compared to the 6 months before, is add IF about 5 days a week. I'd like to believe that triglycerides has elevated slightly because IF has me burning fat at a faster rate, but that may be looking through too rosy a glasses?

After reading Kendrick and Taubes, I've also come to the conclusion that there's no truth to the cholesterol-heart disease hypothesis, but I'm still interested in what these results are telling me.
Can anyone with understanding of the LDL particle size stuff comment on my results? Thanks!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 17:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There might be some truth to it, but it isn't the simple cholesterol test they use that will show any truth. For instance, we know that high triglycerides and small particles are bad.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 22:16
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

This may take a long time to load but it will help you with interpretation: http://www.atherotech.com/images/va...hysBrochRev.pdf

This might help, too: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007...port_vap_01.htm