Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 337/283.5/199 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Is PP ok for all?

I have to ask this...I am starting my research for PP and am concerned at many of the stats I've seen. Most of the people I've seen that have PP listed as their plan are upper 100's and very low 200's--starting weight of their diet. Is this diet appropriate for people that still have a lot of weight to lose? Officially I have 67 lbs. to loose (266 lbs. now)--- (although once I get closer to goal I will adjust my goal weight to probably 150). What does everyone think? I have been on Atkins for almost 8 months and I have to tell you--I would really like a cheat meal every once in awhile. I can go back to plan, but I need to have those "rewards" in order to make me feel less deprived.

Thanks for the help,

Enlight79
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 15:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

You might be confused.

Protein Power doesn't have 'cheat meals'. The main difference between Protein Power and Atkins is the number of allowed carbs and emphasis on protein. The Eades say to eat about 30g carbs/day when in the 'induction' part of it. I can't remember what happens after that... They also don't say where those carbs should come from, but as on Atkins, those that do best, get their carbs from vegetables and low sugar fruits like berries. The Eades also focus on getting sufficient protein throughout the day and don't emphasize fat as much as atkins, but say instead to have enough fat to make it taste good.

CAD/CALP have rewards meals in addition to VERY controlled CMs (complimentary meals? i cant remember what the akronym means). And, the reward meal is not a free for all on carbs, but rather a very structured eating regimen.

Maybe you should check out that forum for the idea on the CAD/CALP plans.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 21:19

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlight79
I have to ask this...I am starting my research for PP and am concerned at many of the stats I've seen. Most of the people I've seen that have PP listed as their plan are upper 100's and very low 200's--starting weight of their diet. Is this diet appropriate for people that still have a lot of weight to lose? Officially I have 67 lbs. to loose (266 lbs. now)--- (although once I get closer to goal I will adjust my goal weight to probably 150). What does everyone think?
Enlight,
Read this post by songberries, I weighed 384 pounds . She posts on this board but I don’t know if she has a similar post here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlight79
I have been on Atkins for almost 8 months and I have to tell you--I would really like a cheat meal every once in awhile. I can go back to plan, but I need to have those "rewards" in order to make me feel less deprived.

Thanks for the help,

Enlight79
As far as “following” PP, I strongly recommend to everyone that I tell about PP, to buy BOTH books, Protein Power and Protein Power Lifeplan. The plan is essentially the same but approached from different prospectives in each book. PLUS, the second book, PPLP, is five years newer meaning that there is that much newer research incorporated into the book. The bibliography for PPLP has over 430 citations from journals such as The New England Journal of Medicine and Lanclet. On the same board where songberries post is, there are a set of threads that give the bibliography, if you are interested.

One of the things, besides the science, that “sold” me on the Eades PP diet, was their lack of “doctrinaire”, that is they spell out the BEST way to eat but then give you some options. The WORST one still gives you 80% of the benefit of the PP diet for only about 20% of the effort. They also admit to “visiting the Honey Tree” - your “cheat meal” as it were - saying that even on RARE occasions our metabolic ancestors would find a honey tree and gorge on the honey. BUT note the word RARE, so that means once in a GREAT while and then back to the PP diet, maybe even a little more strict for the next week.

I should caution you that from my reading posts of many PPers, many have problems with “trigger” foods. Even a nibble of one of them causes a binge. It is not unlike an alcoholic that cannot ever have even a sip of anything the has alcohol in it. Read the reply by petra65 near the bottom of this page; http://ppwol.suddenlaunch3.com/inde...&num=1136303261
She is a board certified psychologist working in a hospital.
So you may find that you simply cannot cheat with some foods and keep your weight down.

Does that help you some?
Larry