Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, May-25-24, 03:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

At 53 and with a known vegan background, is another view Middle-aged people getting serious illness is sadly not unusual.

At least he claimed at the time he recovered from the McD's by his girlfriend's vegan diet. But he was also an alcoholic. Lack of B vitamins is a known complication/contributor in both kinds of intake.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Today, 10:31

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Continuing with the vegan diet theme - this popped up yesterday on Firefox Pocket:

Quote:
“I’ve Been Eating Over 30 Plants a Week for a Year – Here’s How It’s Transformed My Gut Health”

It’s become the go-to piece of gut health advice, but just how realistic is it to eat 30 plants a week every week?

You can’t move these days for nutritionists and gut experts recommending people aim for a ‘30 plant a week’ goal to improve gut health. If that sounds like a lofty aim, it becomes even more ambitious when you realise that this isn’t about consuming 30 portions – but 30 different foods.

But it’s a goal that works. I should know – I’ve been meeting that target every, single week for an entire year and I’m convinced that my gut health is the best it’s ever been. In fact, I recently took the Zoe nutrition test and actually scored higher on the microbiome test than gut supremo Dr Tim Spector… so there’s definitely something in it.

If you’re the kind of person (like me) who eats lots of plants but gets stuck eating the same fruits and veg every day, you’ll struggle with the challenge.

For 12 months, I’ve kept a record of the herbs, veggies, nuts, seeds, legumes, grains and fruits that I consume while on holiday, on work trips, on my wedding day. I’ve eaten everything from samphire and sunflower seeds to dragon fruit and physalis. Everything counts, including potato, red onion and basil.

Most weeks, I’m averaging about 35 plants and beyond filling up my phone with inane notes, I definitely feel different. As such, I plan to keep on recording my plant intake well into 2024 and beyond. Here’s why:

Less bloating

It’s hard to know what causes bloating sometimes. I’m a vegan who eats a lot of fibre in general, but between tight jeans, ever-changing timetables and a fear of pooping in the office, bloating is a semi-regular fact of life.

Over the past 12 months however, I’ve only been bloated in the couple of days before my period – which is to be expected. My morning loo habits are much more regular thanks to a highly fibrous dinner.

A few years ago, I’d try to avoid eating breakfast for fear of feeling uncomfortable in the office, but these days, I’d argue that having a regular breakfast (protein berry smoothie if at home, chia pudding with Brazil nuts and blueberries in the office) seems to regulate gas production and after more plants at lunch, I don’t have big energy crashes or bloats come 3pm.

Tastier meals

When I’ve spoken about eating 30 plants with other people, the immediate reaction has been, ‘That’s a lot of vegetables!’ But that’s missing the point: the challenge is about eating more things that grow, whether that’s grain, fruit, nut, seed, veg or herb. And herbs are not only incredibly nutritionally dense, but they make everything taste better.

I’m no stranger to a pot of dried oregano or pepper flakes, but these days, I make fresh herbs and spices a non-negotiable part of my diet. I splash nearly all foods in lemon or lime juice. Curries are topped with fresh coriander, mint is chopped into salads, and I make my own turmeric root and orange juice. I serve meals with side bowls of sumac, olive oil and za’atar almost daily, as well as cooking mushrooms in shawarma spices.

More adventurous cooking

It’s so easy to end up eating the same foods every day. I’ll eat the same lunch for months, make the same side dishes for every meal or eat the same fruit for yonks. And while I was convinced that I was relatively healthy before, I was shocked when I started this experiment in January to discover just how lacking in diversity my diet was. I’d make pasta using an onion and a tin of tomatoes for three evenings in a row and make the same salad for lunch – unable to move past about eight plants.

By concentrating on diversity, it’s forced me to cook different meals. I’ve started looking up recipes that use new ingredients, such as the butterbean and cherry tomato gratin I made last week. Curries are bloody brilliant for packing in the plants and you can make small tweaks like adding a cup of blended cashews to make a milder, creamy dish or lots of lentils and chickpeas for a more dhal-like texture. Or add mango chunks to, well… anything that seems appropriate.

My favourite dinners tend to be compiled of lots of different small plates, which you can theme around one key dish. A Mexican-esque meal might include bowls of fajita-flavoured stir-fried peppers and tofu, a guacamole (avocado, shallots, lime juice), chopped coriander, mixed grains, refried beans, salsa (chopped onion, chilli and tomato) and gem lettuce leaves. Or if you’re making hummus (chickpeas), you could quickly whip up an Israeli salad (tomatoes, cucumber, pickles, onion, coriander, lemon juice), pan-fried aubergine, mushrooms and flatbread.

Cheaper food bills (and more batch cooking)

You might think that upping your intake of perishable foods is expensive – especially during a cost of living crisis. But I’ve found that ticking off plants inevitably increases the volume of food being made, and that means more leftovers for lunches. Making big grain mixes is cheap, and I often bulk those out with frozen peas and sweetcorn. It’s a damn sight cheaper than aiming for seven portions of fruit and veg.

I try to soak beans ahead of time (which is much more economical than buying tins) and look to cupboard staples when making dessert. At the moment, every evening ends with a bowl of frozen berries in oat milk and a couple of bliss balls made from a blended mixture of medjool dates, oats, flaxseeds and almond butter – all covered with a dollop of dark chocolate. That dessert contains around six plants and tastes better than the chocolate biscuits I used to have.

Fuller for longer

We might all be big grain champions these days, but that’s not always been the case. The noise around glucose and ‘dangerous sugars’ is boringly redolent of the bad old days of keto, Atkins and ‘no carbs before Marbs’. If you got into fitness around 2017 when the only ‘good’ carbs were overnight oats, then you might still be getting used to seeing rice as a healthy, filling part of your plate.

I grew up eating rice, barley and quinoa but took a break from all of them for years. This experiment has encouraged me to return to grains in a big way – often mixing three different kinds together per meal. This week, I’ve made a big batch of amaranth, brown basmati and buckwheat. Last week, it was quinoa, quick-cook rice and giant couscous (the latter is not technically a plant).

This has boosted not only the fibre content of my meals but quite often also the protein. And it’s also made the carb element of my dish a lot more interesting with a greater variety of texture, size and flavour. It’s also cheaper to batch cook: some grains swell more than others so you end up with a greater volume than you would if you’d just boiled a load of rice.

https://www.stylist.co.uk/fitness-h...-6-month/799551

I read this piece of... **** with a cross between a look of on my face.

Quote:
You can’t move these days for nutritionists and gut experts recommending people aim for a ‘30 plant a week’ goal to improve gut health. If that sounds like a lofty aim, it becomes even more ambitious when you realise that this isn’t about consuming 30 portions – but 30 different foods.

Funny - this is the first time I've heard of 30 different plants each week. (apparently I haven't moved a muscle in many, many months since this article was from Dec '23)

Quote:
For 12 months, I’ve kept a record of the herbs, veggies, nuts, seeds, legumes, grains and fruits that I consume while on holiday, on work trips, on my wedding day.

Oh, so herbs and anything else that's not an animal product counts as one of your 30 plants. Got it. That actually makes it one heck of a lot easier to get to 30 plants a week than what she's trying to make it sound like.

(by the way, keep track of how many times she counts grains as plants - something very odd about that comes up in the very end)

Quote:
It’s hard to know what causes bloating sometimes. I’m a vegan who eats a lot of fibre in general, but between tight jeans, ever-changing timetables and a fear of pooping in the office, bloating is a semi-regular fact of life.

Over the past 12 months however, I’ve only been bloated in the couple of days before my period – which is to be expected. My morning loo habits are much more regular thanks to a highly fibrous dinner.

A few years ago, I’d try to avoid eating breakfast for fear of feeling uncomfortable in the office, but these days, I’d argue that having a regular breakfast (protein berry smoothie if at home, chia pudding with Brazil nuts and blueberries in the office) seems to regulate gas production and after more plants at lunch, I don’t have big energy crashes or bloats come 3pm.

If you fear pooping in the office, excessive gas (aside from that being far TMI), the bloating after lunch itself should tell you something about your diet: that it's not a good diet - it's making a royal mess of your digestive system.

Quote:
the challenge is about eating more things that grow, whether that’s grain, fruit, nut, seed, veg or herb. And herbs are not only incredibly nutritionally dense, but they make everything taste better.

Of course herbs make things taste better and for plants, they do have good nutrition - but do the amounts you use in cooking truly provide that much more nutrition, and does a 1/4 tsp of oregano or basil count as another plant in your diet? Apparently it does to 30 plant purists.

Quote:
while I was convinced that I was relatively healthy before, I was shocked when I started this experiment in January to discover just how lacking in diversity my diet was. I’d make pasta using an onion and a tin of tomatoes for three evenings in a row and make the same salad for lunch – unable to move past about eight plants.

Obviously you weren't using enough herbs and spices, since a tiny pinch counts.

Quote:
At the moment, every evening ends with a bowl of frozen berries in oat milk and a couple of bliss balls made from a blended mixture of medjool dates, oats, flaxseeds and almond butter – all covered with a dollop of dark chocolate. That dessert contains around six plants and tastes better than the chocolate biscuits I used to have.

Dark chocolate counts as a plant.

Quote:
We might all be big grain champions these days, but that’s not always been the case. The noise around glucose and ‘dangerous sugars’ is boringly redolent of the bad old days of keto, Atkins and ‘no carbs before Marbs’. If you got into fitness around 2017 when the only ‘good’ carbs were overnight oats, then you might still be getting used to seeing rice as a healthy, filling part of your plate.

No, we're not all big grain champions these days. And I don't recall overnight oats ever being "good carbs". Yes, they have some fiber - they still have loads of starch.

Now for the part where I said count the number of times she refers to grains as plants:

Quote:
This experiment has encouraged me to return to grains in a big way – often mixing three different kinds together per meal. This week, I’ve made a big batch of amaranth, brown basmati and buckwheat. Last week, it was quinoa, quick-cook rice and giant couscous (the latter is not technically a plant).

I looked up giant couscous to see what it is - it's made from semolina, which is... <ta-da> a plant.

She obviously doesn't really even know what she's eating.
  #33   ^
Old Today, 14:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm curious as to which plants provide vitamin B12.
  #34   ^
Old Today, 17:22

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I'm curious as to which plants provide vitamin B12.

We both know that none of them do.

However when I was googling about vegans claiming to be getting B-12 from plants a couple days ago, a bunch of links came up to reddit and quora... the kinds of places where you know whatever is said has to be true, because you found it on the internet.

Here's a few short quotes from various posts.

These in reply to whether kombucha has B-12:

Quote:
Depending on the brand, especially if it’s made with molasses or brown sugar, it can contain pill-like amounts of B12.

Quote:
yes.

Do it homemade, to be fresh and have the maximum amount of nutrients.

Explanations: Cobalamin (b12) is an unusual vitamin in that it is not made by plants and instead is synthesized exclusively by bacteria and archaea. Anaerobe. So anyone with a balanced gut bacteria produces his own B12.

More explanations: Kambucha is a mix of bacteria and yeast. The yeast is very nutritive but some of these bacteria at arrival in the gut will produce the B12. Similar bacteria are in different fermented food (not pasteurised one) so do it yourself.

(another reply explained that yes you will produce it in your gut under those circumstances, but that occurs too far along in the gut for you to absorb it)

Other sites claim you can get B-12 from the following fruits:

Bananas
Blueberries
Oranges
Guava
kiwi
dried fruits: prunes, apricots, figs, raisins

But it's actually down to things like Spirulina (a blue-green algae), nutritional yeast, and tempeh - plus a lot of B-12 fortified foods like cereal and B-12 fortified plant milks. Or B-12 pills.