Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 15:55

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%
Question Anyone want to share lab results?

Hi there,
I was having a discussion with my Dad the other day, he is still having a very hard time believing that this WOE is good for you and that the types of fats we eat are good for us and our cholesterol levels will decrease and improve in LDL and HDL and triglyceride readings. He has been told by doctors to not eat butter, and cream because he has to watch his heart. He buys Canola Harvest spread because that is what he is told to eat. He doesn't buy that hydrogenated is bad, and thinks that it is "California" health food driven and not real science.
So my question is, are any of you willing to share any success in your lab work so he can see that actual people are having success and that they are improving their health.
This man is very analytical and has to be completely convinced of something before he will do it. (sound like any of the case studies in the book?)
Tanya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 12:04

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default All my numbers are greatly improved since LC'ing!

Somewhere in my journal (sorry I don't have time to search for it today) I have posted my stats after I went to get my lab results.

In general, my blood pressure went down into the normal range after being in the high end, which scared me since I had always been slightly low blood pressure, then the past couple of years it went way higher!!!

Also, I am no longer taking thyroid meds. My thyroid is completely normal after starting Low carbing.

My cholesterol levels are wonderful, and my doctor is amazed!

My hubby has improved GREATLY, even more than I, but he was not severly overweight as I still am.

Hope this helps. You are welcome to search in my journal for the numbers, I'm sure I posted them.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 09:04

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Here is my chol panel from at least 3 years ago (not certain of date) before using controled carb diets:

Total Chol. : 239 207
HDL : 41 52
LDL : 153 135
Tryglcyeride: 227 99

the second #s are from this month

My doctor is pleased with the #s.

I started 2 years ago on Suzanne Somer's level 1 plan for about 6 months then used her level 2 and then used more TSP. On all of these plans you can use only what most mainstream dr's/nutritionists and Dr.S calls the healthy fats and you *do not have* to consume saturated ones (butter, red meats etc.) Dr. S even has vegetarian recipes if so inclined. Personally I consumed these items (saturated fats) fairly heavily at first (& still chol panel lowered continually/gradually).

The meds that I take for HBP( atenolol & dyazide) have been lowered to the smallest dosage & I have never had to increase my thyroid meds dosage.

I have recently started counting calories to lose the last of my goal weight, so I do limit butter and red meat to keep the calories limited,but *do include* and enjoy some) One can still eat a good, tasty diet with chicken, fish, etc. I have always (except SS level1) included small amounts of nuts like almonds and walnuts which are being found to lower cholesterol as with oatmeal and garlic.

I think , like your Dad most people have to be convinced of the good of a plan to stick with it.I think TSP is one of the most balanced *doable* plans around but it does not *require* eating high amounts of saturated fats. I have found I can include red meat a few times a week and eat butter in reasonable amounts.

What could be bad about including a vegetable at every meal? Fruits, whole grains -- and what helped me the most I believe cut out the obvious junk--white flour/SUGAR/etc.!

I have also regularly included reasonable amounts of exercise.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 11:18

Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Luckily my dad and for the most part the rest of my family enjoys vegetables. He is just having a hard time accepting that hydrogentated stuff and damaged fats are bad for you.
Thanks for the info. Tanya
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 00:21

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

If your dad is really analytical and willing to read a long article, have him check out this one. It helped me a lot. I indulge in saturated fats liberally and daily. I love my eggs and sausage cooked in butter every day. And steak is one of my favorite foods.

The Lipid Hypothesis

Hope this helps,
;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 07:59

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%
Default Lab results

My lab report just came in after 5 months on TSP. My choleterol went up from 235 to 244 but of more concern, my LDL went up from 155 to 170. That puts me in the high range. My Dr. said he wants to talk to me about going on drugs to lower it. I don't even want to think about medication but I have a family history of heart trouble.

My other numbers are really good.

Just wondering - Is there anything I can do to lower the LDL?

S.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 13:10

I have read in Prevention magazine and Dr. Weil's that a small amount of almonds daily can lower cholesterol over time. Also consuming oatmeal and garlic (not at the same time ) You might search the above mentioned websites for more help.

I have a family history of heart problems also so know what a concern one's cholesterol panels bring. That is why I have started to count calories also and do the things mentioned in my previous post on this thread, which are still compatible with TSP, with the exception -- I do find myself concerned with keeping saturated fats within reason, but do not go crazy about it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 14:14

Rosarugosa

Who doesn't love almonds? Good idea.

To get my LDL's down, I am going to stay away from cheese which I was eating daily and higher fat meats and bacon which I would do 1-2x week.

You commented that you're counting calories, too. Is that working for you? How many calories/day and what have your results been since you started counting?

Susan
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 08:22

Flamingo, yes almonds are delicious and cheaper than the new "cholesterol lowering drugs" that the drug salesmen in the dr.'s waiting rooms are so anxious to get the dr.'s prescribing. IMO

I definitely prefer to try lifestyle/diet changes than add more prescricptions to my life! In that way it is working. I have slowly lost weight over the 1 1/2 years + that I have been trying, and I feel low carb has helped that endeavor, the most -- my chol panel has only gone down (which is the right direction, excluding the good chol-- that has increased) . Not in a headline making manner, but lab test by lab test has declined.

My weight --- s-l-o-w-l-y with tweaking has gone down. Yes I lost 1 more lb. when I started counting calories--wow! , but it does help me stick with less saturated fats and red meat because those items are higher in calories. I generally have 1200- 1400. When I started low carbing I wore a size 14/16 most comfortably, now a 12 is always comfortable and sometimes a 10 (in modest priced clothing). In more expensive ones an 8 -- of course women's clothing sizes are a whole other post!

I have read (and try to incorporate them in my weekly diet) that beans are good for lowering cholesterol . In TSP they can certainly be included in the plan, and are great for the budget also!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 07:49

Rosarugosa:

I'm a ditto to your plan. Trying to keep calories 1200-1400, with the higher number or slightly over on heavy exercise days.

I'm also going to work more cardio into my week. It's not that easy to get to the gym with some of the 12 hour days I've been working lately. These 80 degree days in the fall in Michigan help keep me motiviated to be outstide, too!!!

Well, anyway, the scale is moving downward - verrrry s-l-o-w-l-y.

Susan
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 16:09

Stats: 194/190/145
BF:
Progress: 8%

Flamingo,
Slowly or not, watching that scale go from 170 to 169 must've been sweet! I keep waiting to see the underside of 190 but not yet.

Good for you!!
Jess
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 07:54

RosaRugosa:

Breaking that # on the scale was a great milestone for me. Wednesday AM is my ususal weigh in so I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Looking forward to celebrating your loss, TOO!!!

Three cheers for us big losers!

Susan