View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 23:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Hi Melberry

I only have 2 at home. My eldest is nearly 17 and does not live with me. My youngest are 4 and 2.

I was following Atkins, although I've been slack with carb counting for a very long time. These days I live the principles, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or sugar. I guess strictly speaking, I'm not really following any plan per se but I am living the low carb lifestyle.

My family are not on low carb but they often eat low carb lunches and dinners. I cook from Dana Carpenter's 500 Low Carb Recipes, which I ordered on Amazon. It's cheaper than buying it here, even with postage costs. I also use DANDR and recipes from this site and others online. I guess the key is planning but I must admit it was tough in the beginning.

I still have days of poor planning where I end up winging it but because I've been doing it for a while now I always manage, even it means resorting to more eggs, but usually there is always something I can throw together. I make flax bread for sandwiches and use the empower low carb wraps from the big health food store across from the printing place in Mt Barker. I snack on nuts when I just feel like something and on Friday and Saturday nights, I allow myself sugar free treats such as chocolate or icecream. Everyday I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil and drink a glass of kefir (instead of milk). If you're interested in Kefir, let me know and I can pass some grains on to you.

My kids love their carbs too. I was not on this woe when they were younger so I've created a love of carbs in them. I hope to change that for the new baby but we'll see how we go.

When I cook the evening meal, I will occasionally add a carby side for the family but often they eat what I do.

It might take you a while to get back on the wagon but I'm sure you will get there. Don't pressure yourself too much, it's tough with little ones. Sit down when you have time and work out a weeks menu and go from there. It helps if your husband/partner is onside.

I'm not at goal but I've been lazy with exercise and strict carb counting, plus now that I'm pregnant, weight loss will have to take a back seat <sigh>

If you're ever interested in catching up let me know.