View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 11:13

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Sitting down with Dr. Bernstein's Book

Finally got my hands on Diabetes Solution (2003 revised version) from my library. I spent maybe 2 hours, pouring through last night. (I skipped a lot of the first chapter, which was all anecdotal evidence that his plan works. I don't need convincing, I come into diabetes knowing this is the only sensible way to manage it.)

My bookmark right now is at the beginning of Chapter 6 ("Strange Biology").

If nothing else, I've learned that the 1000mg Vitamin C pill I take may be affecting my readings. And some new places for the finger-prick.

THANK YOU for recommending Dr. Bernstein to me. As I'm unmedicated right now (and -- since we caught things both early and as I was going back to LC -- I hope to be able to stay that way ), a lot of areas I was able to skim. But this is the exact resource I needed. The general information on diabetes (my fun new diagnosis) and its effective management (as opposed to the "Oh, eat cake, just take more insulin!" management that seems more common today) is perfect. I'm currently reading cover-to-cover (except for skipping some of the testimonials in the first chapter), though skimming things that don't directly apply (like the tools needed for insulin injection).

When -- inevitably -- I flip forward briefly (usually just as I'm putting the book down for some reason), the information I see in future chapters is compelling, and contains specifics I need.

The good news is that, as I'm digesting all of this, I'm already dedicated to eating in a way that's healthy, and will be beneficial for my BG levels. I've been frustrated, finding test-strips locally. (When I got my meter, I MADE SURE they were available, but haven't been able to find them on the shelves since.) So I went online last night and placed an order for 300. I figure with that many, I should be able to test as often as I want/need, to keep track of things!

I have mentioned in the past that I -- as an "emergency" type plan -- bought some "Keto" meal-bars for travel. ("Travel" = staying with a dear friend, 150 miles from home.) I just got back from a trip down there. I brought NONE of my own food this time. For breakfast, the first morning, I scrambled up some eggs and cheese. (I had to use her margarine to cook it in. I know, I'll pack some butter next time.) Didn't eat again until dinnertime. She was trying to make dinner, and I said I'd go grab something... Went from offering chicken-and-noodles, to BBQ something, to chili. Told her not to worry about feeding me, went out & had a bunless burger (I was SUPER hungry, and wanted food in my belly before I went shopping!), then ran to the grocery, got some guacamole (no sugar added for me, no cilantro added for her) and celery sticks, and some really good-quality chicken sausage in a variety of flavors. (read Every Single Ingredient on each package.) With that, was able to fill out the remaining meals there (which were fairly few) without eating anything that was TOO processed. (Yes, I know sausage is processed... but cooking-facilities there are extremely limited. It is more feasible to pan-fry some sausage quickly than to cook raw meat from scratch. And it's a recognizable food, not some food-substitute bar filled with sugar-alcohols.)

I'm also in a good mood because my weight (scale) is back down, this morning. (My knee's been killing me lately, and swollen, which -- of course -- shows on the scale, and obscures any progress I'm making. And despite me being a big advocate of the measuring tape, I haven't been using it.)

Definitely starting to hit the "decreased appetite" stage of things, but when I DO have hunger again after most of a day without food, it's sudden and HARD. According to Dr. B, I need to test when I hit that place. (Come on, test strips, get here!) As it stands, I've been following my general LC policy, and taking that as a signal to EAT something high in fat, with protein.

Still reading. Still have a voice in my head that tries to claim "this isn't really diabetes". (I ignore that voice, but it exists.) Still finding my way. I'm glad that my doc got some good baseline measures, and that soon, I'll get to see how my dietary improvements have affected things.
Sponsored Links