View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 16:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have to concur with WereBear and Rob - I don't panic over the difference in fats between grain-fed and grass-fed/organic meats. I have no doubt that the latter is superior, but I find it somewhat alarmist to say that they're "loaded" with bad fats. The polyunsaturates are only one part of the total fat content. I've seen some Twitter discussion on that issue recently and I respectfully think they're scaring people unnecessarily. If you've already cleaned up most of your diet by ditching junk, you're already 90% better off than you were. If your only source of those polyunsaturates is some roasted chicken or a pork chop or some deli meat, that's probably no big deal for most of us - an exception being perhaps someone who's dealing with a really persistent issue that just won't respond to the usual interventions. I say this a lot, but "compliance trumps everything else." Do what you can with the resources you have to create a diet you can stick with.

I render the fats from (cheap) chicken, pork and beef. They behave like they're supposed to. I've kept them in the fridge for an embarrassingly long time, and they still taste wonderful. This probably wouldn't happen if there was too much unstable polyunsaturate content. They'd go rancid. It took me a YEAR to finish off my last batch of beef tallow.