View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-19, 20:36

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

The Star and DietDoctor put a very different twist to the story.

The Star:
Quote:
Since 2016, the women, who founded Canadian Clinicians for Therapeutic Nutrition, a national non-profit, have lobbied the government, with letters, an Ottawa meeting and a parliamentary petition signed by nearly 5,000 Canadians, to reconsider the diet advice they believe Health Canada plans to deliver in the next iteration of the Food Guide, which is due out in early 2019, according to a Health Canada spokesperson.

DietDoctor:
Quote:
CCTN is warning Canadians not to follow the advice of the current Canadian food guide, which still advises a low-fat, higher-carb diet.

On a side note, when I first read the original Star piece, I stopped at the "the women" and thought that, while it may be a correct characterization of the CCTN group (if individuals in the group are all women, no men) or even of the two women interviewed (the two doctors are indeed women), it gave me the impression that it wasn't a very serious group as a whole. You know, it's just a bunch of women (or just a couple of women), as opposed to what the group is actually composed of in context - physicians and health professionals, both genders (I checked, it ain't just a bunch of women). I'm not sure how else to explain this impression I got. Got it. Imagine if the two persons were men, the group was the same (both men and women, physicians and health professionals), and the phrase started with "the men" or "the dudes" or "the guys", or even if nothing was different but the two women were referred to as "the chicks" or "the gals". The two women interviewed are indeed women, but that has exactly no bearing whatsoever on the topic of the Star piece, the group's purpose and goals or its composition.

Conversely, the DietDoctor piece characterizes the group much differently:
Quote:
A dynamic group of Canadian doctors
The group represents a 4,500 doctors
Dr. Barbra Allen Bradshaw, one of the founders of the organization
Another member of the organization, Dr. Supriya Joshi, a gastroenterologist and hepatologist
doctors in the CCTN group

The point is I got (mis)led to pre-think my first comment in a particular direction, while the DietDoctor piece led me to pre-think a 180. I hate being misled by (although correct as may be) irrelevant characterizations. On the other hand, I'm quite happy those two chicks/gals/women/doctors/physicians/health professionals/persons/CCTN founders/lobbyists/interviewees/whatever else they may be, are on my side.