#44   ^
Old Sun, May-06-12, 02:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
I think in general thats true. I was just thinking that Dr. Atkins might have had a reason why cocoa powder or no sugar chocolate is not on the Atkins acceptable foods list for induction. Maybe its no big deal, it just seems like when I read the book it said don't eat anything not on the list, and its not on there.

Studies have shown that some foods cause insulin release in some people, and not in others. Apparently 25% of people have an insulin response to sugar alcohols. Some have insulin response to coffee. Or to a sweet taste. In another study one person had insulin response to bitter tastes. I guess it means everyone is different. I can't eat raw celery or I get bad cravings. Weird. Maybe you can eat a chocolate bar a day and be okay. If that's true, then that's cool. But it might be something to consider if you stop losing or get cravings.

I hope it goes well for you!

I agree with this post. Cocoa contains caffeine, which does trigger an insulin response in some people - I think that's why Dr Atkins stipulated decaffeinated drinks, and didn't include cocoa in his list. Personally, I cannot include coffee or chocolate in my diet. I tried unsweetened cocoa powder with cream and it made me ill with the insulin rush. My insulin response has improved thanks to the low-carbing, but personally, I still cannot touch coffee or chocolate because it sabotages the diet in various ways, such as being unable to moderate my intake immediately, or over time.

That said, for those who'd like to try chocolate, and find the 99% too bitter, you could try melting the bitter dark chocolate and adding unsalted butter or cream, a touch of stevia to offset the bitterness, then resetting it. You could add almonds (whole or ground), crushed nuts, dried raspberries or something else which has a natural sweetness. If you add a lot of cream, you'll change it into a chocolate cream/ganache dessert. I'd love to try this myself, but personally, I cannot even think of chocolate without going bonkers.

Another item which you might find interesting is Chocolate Extract, made from cocoa and alcohol, which I guess could be added to things you're cooking or baking in order to add in the chocolate flavour, rather than using cocoa powder, which can dry out baked goods out a bit. You can buy it on Amazon, etc.

The health benefits of chocolate and red wine are always advertised.. Those come from the phenols, which occur in fruits, vegetables and other foods.

I got some information about phenols online..

Fruit

"To pick fruits containing the highest level of phenols, aim for the berry family. Other fruits to reach for are citrus varieties.... and cherries. When selecting fruits based on phenol content, keep this tip in mind: The darker the fruit, the greater the phenol content. By eating the seeds and skins, one can achieve the highest amount of phenols plant foods provide."

Vegetables

"The vegetable food group also contains an array of foods high in phenol content, with the highest content found in the yellow onion. Additionally, artichokes, ...rhubarb, red cabbage, curly kale, leeks, cherry tomatoes, celery and broccoli all offer a good supply of phenols."

Legumes

"Fill grocery carts with a variety of peas and beans in the form of canned or dried beans or spreads, with soybeans having the greatest amount of phenols. Add beans and peas to soups, salads, dips and other dishes."

Spices

"Spice things up in the kitchen by using parsley and capsicum pepper, with parsley containing the largest amount of phenols. Using such spices is a sure way to increase the phenol content of any food."

Beverages

"You can sip on numerous beverages to boost phenol intake. Reach for coffee, soy milk, red wine, black and green teas. For the highest phenol content, fill your cup with coffee and green tea. Any beverage made from other sources of phenols mentioned will make for a good beverage choice."

Here's the full article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/1.../#ixzz1u4leZ1Z5

I normally eat lots of the veggies in that list, but I think I'll be heading for the berries next time I'm shopping.

Enjoy.