View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 07:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/177/170 Male 5' 10“
BF:
Progress:

Currently I'm working with plain frozen vegetables, plain pork steak and zero sugar bacon, boiled egg, found a mayo with zero sugar on ingredients (Duke's with is a little getting used too compared to Hellman's but zero sugar!) Thanks for reply and reference source's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
If you're on induction, you'll want to avoid foods that list any kind of sugars in the ingredients, even if the nutrition stats say 0 grams sugar, because as Janet said, as long as it's less than .5 g sugar per serving, the nutrition facts can say it's 0 grams. The food manufacturers often make the serving size far smaller than you'd ever use in real life, just to make the nutrition stats look better.

One thing you can do to get the real story (at least for basic foods such as the heavy cream mentioned above), is to use a nutrition data site or app to determine the amount of naturally occurring sugar in the food.

On my desktop, I keep a bookmark for the Nutrition Data Food Facts site (ad supported - you'll want to give it a few seconds for the annoying ads to load in before you try to type or click on anything, so you don't accidentally open an ad). You type the basic food into the search bar, and can narrow your search to specific food groups. You'll get a list of choices for most basic foods, and after you find the one that most closely describes what you want in it's natural state (for instance, when searching eggs, even if I'm making scrambled eggs, or making egg salad, I'll bypass those choices, and continue scrolling until I find the one that gives the data for raw eggs - I want to know about the single ingredient, not what other ingredients the USDA assumes I've added when I cook my eggs a particular way), then use the drop down for that item to choose a serving size (if you choose a larger serving size, such as one cup of heavy cream, you can do the math to give you a much more accurate idea about how much naturally occurring sugar there is in the amount you actually use). The colorful overview charts near the top of the page require adobe acrobat to view, but if you don't have/don't want to install adobe, you don't need those anyway - there's much better info if you scroll down further, since all macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients will be listed in detail.

On my phone, I have an app called Nutrition Facts which works similarly, with search field, broad food groups, individual choices, and serving sizes, but you can look for any app that provides the detailed data from the USDA, and gives you the option of different serving sizes for each food. (I had to download and delete a few apps before I found an app I liked) As on the desktop site, all nutrient values will be listed for the food.