#21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 22:18

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Denver, CO (Sports Network) - San Francisco 49ers offensive lineman Thomas Herrion died of ischemic heart disease, according to autopsy reports.

Herrion collapsed in the locker room after an August 20 preseason game against the Denver Broncos and died early the next morning.

The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner released a statement Tuesday after completing an autopsy and said that Herrion had significant blockage of his right coronary artery.

"This blockage had caused death of heart muscle, indicated by healing and scarring," the release stated. "His heart was slightly enlarged."

The release added that a drug screen confirmed only atropine in the blood, which was given during resuscitative efforts.

After Herrion's collapse, emergency workers performed CPR and he was taken to St. Anthony's Central Hospital in Denver. He died a short time later.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Fort Worth, Texas native was on the field during the 49ers' marathon 14-play, 91-yard march that resulted in Cody Pickett's late touchdown that completed the scoring at 26-21.

Herrion spent parts of last season on practice squads with San Francisco and Dallas. He played in NFL Europe this year with the Hamburg Sea Devils.

Unfortunately, it doesn't answer any questions. We can now, it appears, rule out any Len Bias-type thing, and I myself was thinking it might come from insulin abuse -- I know at one point strength athletes were using insulin as part of their stacks to speed muscle growth, and they might still be doing it. But having a slightly enlarged heart is common among athletes, and the source of the blockage that killed him isn't known. And again, if it was weighing 300 pounds that killed him so young, you'd be seeing it happen a lot more often, especially among the ranks of football players, college and pro. Was there a history of heart disease in his family? We don't know. Had he used performance enhancing drugs in the past? We don't know. There are somewhere near 10,000 young men about Herrion's age playing football, college and pro right now in this country; one of them dies of a heart attack, and the instant conclusion is it was because of his weight.

I know someone who nearly died of a heart attack at 30; they were slender and exercised regularly. That must have been an anomaly. A fat guy dies young of a heart attack, and it's automatically assumed to be because of his weight. The standards should be a little higher than that.