#23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 20:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I've maintained a 60 lb. weight loss for more than a decade, with only one setback (20 lbs) which led me to take up Atkins as my lifestyle.

IMHO, successful maintainers are people who have reconciled themselves to the fact that they cannot eat like "normal" people--"normal" in American culture being a diet high in sugar, fast foods, and cereal. I believe that every successful "diet" brings us to about the same place: a healthy menu of unprocessed foods in a reasonable and satisfying quantity.

My maintenance "secrets":
--daily weighing (willful ignorance has been my downfall in the past)
--EXERCISE
--adherence to low-carb principles

I'm grateful to Dr. Atkins for providing me with the tools of thought, and freedom from low-fat tyranny.

Amen girlfriend!!!! You hit the nail on the head with your secrets. I had thought I was "obsessing" weighing 2-3 times a week so I cut back. I had also reached a low of 104 lbs and ended up with some saggy skin. Rather than bear it and plan for possible plastic surgery (a year or two down the road), I let myself gain some weight back. But 16 lbs later, I'm bumping up my exercise and will weigh more regularly. I continue to adapt recipes to LC as cooking is my passion, it certainly helps keep a variety in the diet. LC has been good to me and saved my health. Thanks to this group for support when I could use it.