#20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 14:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarlitex
An orange is a healthy food with vit C and nutrients and fiber. A whole orange is high in carbs coming in at 12 net carbs but it provides nutrients and fiber so the orange is better than sugar which is processed from sugar cane and has zero nutritional value. Oranges might trigger people who are carb sensitive but you could have 1 orange and be under your carb intake for the day even at 20 g carbs a day. One teaspoon of sugar has less calories and no nutrient value. It is an empty food. There is no benefit of eating sugar. None whatsoever. The orange has benefit. And cranberries are healthy as well until you add the sugar. But as for juices, I was not speaking of juices. Juices, I personally believe, are generally a poor choice as they generally have additives and sugar is often among them. So I personally think you are better off having neither of the options you presented but having a whole orange or a handful of cranberries but it also depends for you personally if they are items you are sensitive to. The average person may not be. Most natural foods aren't a problem for most people until they become the bulk of their diet where the diet is high carbs. They've also begun to measure how much sugar is released into the body upon eating the food. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but some foods are high and others are mid range and others are low. The low are ones that are considered safe and healthy and the high and even moderate ones are a bit riskier. I think it's slow release carbs they are looking at but I can't remember the name of the diet.

While LC is a healthy way to live it's not the only way to live and people can eat more than low carbs as long as they aren't in high carbs and do just fine. Naturally occurring sugar isn't a problem for most people. A cup of papaya or an orange isn't going to be an issue for many but for those who are more sensitive to it or who have weight gain issues it might present an issue. But again, I'm talking whole foods and not juices which are two entirely different things. An orange is a healthy food that happens to be higher in carbs but still it is a healthy food. The juice is a different story.

I'll be the first to defend some value judgements on food, especially when that food is made by someone with love in their heart. But..... it is a value judgement. There is nothing about hand making food that makes it scientifically better nor is there anything about processing food that makes it objectively worse.

Moreover "Sucrose is sucrose" is exactly correct. Sucrose is a precise scientific term that denotes a chemical with specific properties. It's source, sugar cane, orange juice or even maple syrup, doesn't matter.

I'd much rather have 4g of sucrose from a processed mix of sugar and cranberry juice than 10g of sucrose from 100% natural hand made orange juice. Unless that orange juice was made with love. Then I'll have some.