View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 08:42

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

There go those mice again, messing with my metabolism. I was particularly struck by the point Teaser makes about mice having proportionately smaller brains. Smaller brain=less energy required. People are the biggest kahuna on the planet because we have...big brains. Not that you'd know it, judging by some of the "science" we read these days (I won't mention politics.) But certainly more of the energy we eat goes toward furnishing the brain cells.

If I remember some reading correctly, human brain cells positively thrive on ketones. Or maybe it was brain cells use up all the glucose, and the ketones get used for everything else. Either way, dietary and consumed fat gets used up.*

Unfortunately my current aversion to counting stuff (calories, carbs, macros, etc.) prevents me from documenting my keto success. Maybe I should try to figure out what percentage of my daily menu actually is fat. I don't believe that I eat a "high fat" diet to achieve a ketogenic ratio. Slashing the carbs to "nearly nothing" (again, not measured) seems to do that.

Maybe scientists ought to start using hibernating animals to test fat accumulation. Their bodies seem to regulate fat quite differently from human bodies, but never mind. They won't complain about the diet.

*I looked it up. See Taubes, Why We Get Fat pp. 177-178. Excerpt:
Quote:
With no carbohydrates in the diet, ketones will provide roughly three-quarters of the energy that our brains use....Researchers have reported that the brain and central nervous system actually run more efficiently on ketones than they do on glucose.