#7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 17:25
Registered Member

Plan: NA
Stats: 230/230/230
BF:
Progress:

Hi Wa'il,
Believe me, I set out to write positive things on ketogenic diets. It was in my best interest to have a site that promoted them because I'm thinking of becoming a reseller of some ketogenic products and I wanted to promote myself through the site.

However, to try and remain as unbiased as possible, I searched with ambiguous terms so I wouldn't purposefully run into any site that hated ketogenic diets and I wouldn't run into any site that was pro-ketogenic diets, either. I wanted to start with something more unbiased and medical, and all the information that I found seemed relatively unbiased but said that while ketogenic diets were a good concept, they didn't work for weight loss.

Yes, the article was supposed to be easy-to-read, so I did take the concepts I read and tried to use analogies like the farmer gathering water. However, analogies aren't out to prove facts or anything - they are only there to make the article more interesting and help people understand the concept better.

> If you are willing to accept the possibility that Ketogenic diets might actually be very healthy, you will easily find those facts.

I did accept that possibility as a fact in the very beginning of all this. However, I did NOT want to go searching for biased information. I could easily go to Atkins' site and get all the supporting information I wanted (I was actually intending to request that Atkins link to my site once it was finished), but there is a big problem with this.

Atkins is trying to sell their products, so all of their information is obviously going to be nothing but good information about ketogenic diets. Thus, I'll have less chances of running into phrases like, "My diet is good, but there are some legitimate downsides to it." Even if there were phrases like that, they most likely wouldn't be in-depth.

Someone said there would be a lack of case studies against ketogenic diets - this is probably true. After all, case studies cost lots of money to organize and publish, so it would make sense for Atkins to have lots of case studies to sell their products. Likewise, it would make sense to have a lack of case studies against Atkins or any diet because there's no money to be made unless you're selling a competing brand.

I also tried to avoid any other competing brands that would have reason to bash ketogenic diets. If someone is not out to sell something to you, there's a higher likelihood that you'll get more honesty out of them on the subject. After all, it's not their product, so they have nothing to gain or lose.

You also implied that by starting with a premise of "ketogenic diets are unhealthy," that I was doing it incorrectly. However, starting with any premise of opinion is incorrect. Once again, unbiased information.

Finally, I -have- read some of the studies and am still reading them. I appreciate people pointing me to them, but I have to weigh out the total credibility of each study and try to read it from an objective point of view. After all, it's easier to see what you believe, right?

- Jonathan