View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/100/100 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Response to question re: studies w/o excercise...

I am a Registered Dietitian certified by ADA. I was always skeptical of this diet. However, it works. And, it works even if you don't exercise. I do not condone physical inactivity--we all know that exercise provides a multitude of benefits. Unfortunately after I had my daughter, I gained a good bit of weight. I was always really small--thin w/a small frame as are most women in my family. I was determined to lose the weight, but I found minimal time to exercise w/a fussy baby and working full-time. I eventually tried this diet b/c of my patients constantly telling me that it worked for them. It was an experiment. I talked to my primary care physician, and we even decided to take me off my cholesterol meds to see how the diet affected those levels (High chol, High LDL, normal HDL, very high Trig). Well, I was amazed. I lost about 25# in 2 months. I've kept it off for 3 years. I rarely exercise except for the occasional walk w/my daughter in the neighborhood (weather permitting). My cholesterol/LDL/Trigs all dropped enormously. My HDL increased! I am still no longer taking any meds. My BP is also lower. My muscle tone is better. I can't believe it, even w/o exercising. I do plan on getting back into more physical activity once my daughter starts school, but it's just not possible for me to do much that doesn't include her right now. I have to say as well that most research studies on any type of diet, not just low carb, usually include some sort of excercise regimen. My husband is on the diet too. We don't even feel that it's a diet--it's definitely a way of life. We've never felt or looked better in our lives. We always get complimented on how good/young we look. As an employee of the VA, I couldn't be prouder of these new research results!