#6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 07:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Unhappy hi Cat, sorry you're not feeling well

Don't know how old you are, but whenever I hear a woman over 40 talking about being cold all the time, first thing I think of is low thyroid. That was MY first symptoms, along with slow resting heart rate (50), thinning hair, dry skin, fluid retention, fatigue, aches and pains, constipation, menstrual irregularitites .... plus more.

On the other hand, you mentioned it's just your hands and feet. Do your fingers and toes get blue-ish, and do they HURT. It could be Reyaud's phenomenon. Also more common in women than in men. It's an autoimmune reaction causing the blood vessels in the extremtites to constrict.

The other folks' suggestions are good, and make sense ... on the subject of fat ... are you eating enough of it .. FAT I mean?? You're not trying to do a lowFAT version of a lowcarb diet? Try adding more monounsaturated fats such as virgin olive oil and flax oil, as well as raw nuts and seeds (buy raw at a health food store - roast yourself at home right before consuming ... the high-heat used for commercial roasting, then the long storage destroys the essential fatty acids.) Ground flax seeds are a good source of both omega-3 fats, as well as fiber.

For more info about low thyroid, click here for the About.com hypothyroid pages.

Hope you're feeling better soon ..

Doreen