#11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 19:15
Registered Member

Plan: William Kaufman (1965)
Stats: 200/193/126
BF:
Progress:

Hello Cali,

The little booklet I have is approx 6" x 3" and had a daily gram counter wheel thingy attached to the front of it, which was lost years ago. It was published by Southdown Press in Melbourne (a New Idea publication). "Based on the famous Airforce Diet that's sweeping America!"

I went in to your profile too and notice that you were born in 1964 - my daughter is only 4 months older than you.

Back then there wasn't a great deal of books at our disposal to help us with our weight. My son was born in 1965 so I obviously bought the book to help me get my figure back. There's a section in the back "Keeping Score" and my start weight in the first week was 122lbs! and I thought I was fat then!

I don't know how to do an attachment here, so I'll just quote a little. "Origin of the Low Carbohydrate Diet"
"Much has been written recently about the origination of the theory of low carbohydrate diet, some sources attributing its beginnings to the United States Air Force Academy, other sources presenting the theory as a new nutritional discovery. But to set the record straight, it might be wise to say that the Eskimos, ever since the Stone Age, have lived on the low carbohydrate diet we now follow when we count out our 60 grams per day. During the centuries past many trained observers have remarked on the efficiency of this kind of selective eating and in the mid-eighteen hundreds a book was published in England by William Banting proclaiming the success of his system of weight loss achieved through a purposeful selection of low carbohydrate foods.

"So it is easy to see, Fellow Dieter, that there is really very little that is modern about the theory of low carbohydrate diet. What is new is THE THEORY OF WEIGHT CONTROL THROUGH THE INTAKE OF ONLY 60 GRAMS OF LOW CARBOHYDRATE FOOD PER DAY. What is new is that this theory fits perfectly into our social, business and family life of today." unquote

The other headings are "Why it is a Dieter's Dream", "Why Low Carbohydrate Foods are So Satisfying", "Why It Works", "Live Modern, Count Grams!", "Let your Doctor Tell You", and "Eat, Drink, Be Merry and Live It Up".

I'm still wading through Atkins but I'm not in a hurry, as we're still losing.

I don't fish either; my role is to look after the clients' good needs. I might take it up one day but at the moment I have a very old Pug to look after. Yes, "A River Somewhere" was a lovely series, I hope they do another one; it sent a lot of business our way.

Candlewicking is an old embroidery craft, which originated with the covered wagons crossing America. The wives, thinking of their new homes at the end of the journey and how they would decorate, used off-cuts of the fabric the wagons were made of and candlewick thread. They drew a design on the fabric and embroidered around it using mainly three basic stitches - stem stitch, colonial knots (or french) and feather stitch.

Today we use calico and a light source to transfer the pattern on. I also do redwork and bluework on bleached calico, which is the same thing but in colour. I have made some beautiful cushions and pillow shams. You may have seen some of this work, at high prices, in antique stores.

I'd better close or Telstra will cut me off (automatic after 20 minutes). It's damned annoying.

Best of luck with Ultralite - I haven't looked in to that one yet.

Alaine