#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-10, 14:24

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/150/137 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins, Dukan, Clark....? Any advice please

Hi All

New here, but no stranger to low carb diets.

Years ago I lost about a stone on Atkins, in a very short time. A long time later, (and nothing to do with Atkins) I was very ill with a viral heart infection, which left me with a left bundle branch block (LBBB) Although I am 'heart healthy' at the moment at 48, I have to be extremely careful to avoid heart disease, as blocked arteries and LBBB do not make for a long life! I live in Scotland, and have a very typical Scottish colesterol count of 5.6. I also carry weight typically around my lower half, and quite a small top half (especially my face, which can look quite gaunt.) Recently after stopping smoking, I put on about two stone.

I understand the 'mechanics' of a low carb regime, and how eating protein switches on the bodys internal mechanism to burn body fat. I remember how on Atkins, the fat just melted away - but not on my face!! Yipee.

Because of the dangers of too much 'bad' fat in my diet, I want to eat a low carb, low fat plan, and was very interested to read about the Dukan Diet, which also incorporates the use of Oatbran, which naturally lowers colesterol. You are also allowed unlimited non fruit yogurts. I was on the Attack phase (unlimited protein, 1.5 tablespoons oatbran, 0% fat dairy, 1.5lrts water) and lost 7lbs in four days. I then continued on the Cruise phase, (pure protein alternated with protein veg days and all of the attack foods.)

No counting of calories, carbs or fat units.

I have continued to lose weight (about 2lb every couple of days or so) but I find the diet very limited and am getting bored, which spells disaster for me long term...no alcohol etc. I understand that I still have two other phases to get to ('Stabilisation', where you add back in bread, pasta, fruit cheese etc, and 'Consolidation', where you eat normally but protein only on a Thursday) but I have been reading the The New High Protein diet by Dr Clark and I wonder if I should change.

Although the diets seem similar, Dr Clark counts carbs (no more than 40g daily) and
allows alcohol,
no yogurt or milk...
allows cream and cheese.

I like the fact that I have a carb count to stick to, as I felt a bit 'adrift' in Dukan...although the body fat was coming off...and how! Yes, I am losing weight, but more importantly I can see that body fat again is melting. I want to stick to this plan, but I would love to think I could have a glass of wine and as Dr Clark says, because I am in ketosis, the calories are not deposited as fat. Dr Dukan never even mentions alcohol in his book....

Sorry to be so long winded...would love to chat to any like minded people.

cheers

PS....very confused how two similar low carb diets can be so different...with forbidden foods being positively welcomed on the other....oatbran, yogurt milk, alcohol, cheese etc
Sponsored Links