View Single Post
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 21:16

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

So in order to maintain the benefits of a super-low-fat diet, you have to stay on a choline and methionine-free diet? which means you basically must remain a vegan and never consume animal products or nuts. I don't trust follow-up that consists of calling former patients and quizzing them on the phone, let's drag them in for a good look and get some blood samples at least.

An interesting new study on vegetarians--just quoting the junk I hear on the radio mind you---one out of 3 vegetarians will eat meat if they are intoxicated. There are 5 times as many former vegetarians (me! also) as there are vegetarians. It is a difficult diet to keep--I quit because I was obviously unhealthy (like covered in bruises). True vegan would be infinitely harder. Hey if someone has the willpower and willing to do the effort to eat a healthy, balanced vegan diet, good for them, but I suspect few of the general public are up for that for a long term diet.

So the super-low-fat diet fails in the area of long-term sustainability. A radical short-term diet is interesting if you want to do lab studies and publish interesting graphs, it's great for losing a few pounds before the reunion, but it fails miserably in changing peoples lives for the better and keeping them from dietary-related diseases (a category which seems to grow by the day).