View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-17, 11:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I have no faith in the BMI system. The wide variety of body-types are synthesized into ONE. I have huge hands and very large bones....my husband has very fine long bones.....The BMI is totally incorrect for our extremes.

A friend still obsesses about the school sending a letter that her son is too fat. Well honestly she is not seeing the whole picture, and this letter is pushing her into denial.

Her son is built like his dad. Almost as broad as he is tall. Dad is NOT round. Just a very heavy build---can still run faster than any of his teen soccer players. His son is relatively pudgy.

His son was talking to me, more upset than his mom about this letter sent a couple years ago originally, and probably every year since, because geez this kid is dad all over. BUT he does carry a gut, a gut that grows with him as he has become older.

I offer him what I tell my boys, whom he knows well, and one standing next to him. Pinch an inch. An inch of fat, in the side. That is goal.

THe two boys look at each other.....my son cannot pinch an inch and has a 4 pack belly.....could gain a little fat... and his friend at the same weight doesn't reach his shoulder....they laugh....

IMHO pinch an inch always is valid and ditches the useless, IMO, BMI system.

Last thought, the newest medical info indicates that how much fat we carry is not as important as other issues like HDL and HDL with total cholesterol, trigylcerides, and blood pressure. Body fat is not the best indicator of risk of heart attack as it used to be. ANd us on low carb WOL are likely to beat a heart attack.

Would like to see a study for us LC eaters and stroke/ heart attack rates.

Just my 2 cents.