BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Fake food like soy burgers, turkey bacon and soy milk, all too radical
for me

Oh yes, the other parts of that quote apply too -
Quote:
Don't include a lot of meat, milk, or highly processed foods that a gardener or farmer wouldn't recognize.

The gardener might recognize soy beans, and of course would be upset about a fungus growing on (and ruining) his corn crop, but process those things enough, and you have soy milk, soy cheese, soy yogurt, soy ice cream, soy "chicken" nuggets, and a whole plethora of Quorn products.

Then there's the multitude of other things that no one from 100 years ago would recognize as coming the plant from which they were derived - cashew milk, almond milk, flax milk, hemp milk, oat milk. The variety of highly processed frankenfood products that are stamped with the aura of better-for-you-than-the-real-thing is astounding these days.

Having said that, I do understand that people who are highly sensitive or allergic to certain things (gluten, lactose, etc) do develop a craving for the foods they miss, or the need for some kind of occasional substitute that just makes life easier (for instance, a bread that the gluten intolerant can actually eat - so much quicker and easier to eat a bagged lunch if your meat and cheese are between two slices of bread). That's the very same reason we have so many LC treat recipes, bread recipes, oopsies, etc. The commercially made substitutes have gotten out of hand though, and it happens with LC substitutes too. Just yesterday I clicked on an article that claimed to show the best LC desserts, and I thought it was going to be recipes. Nope, not a single recipe. Every single item was a LC frankenfood, available at an outrageous price.