View Single Post
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 06:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
what has stopped a lot of smokers is a new attitude in Canada. smokers have very few places to smoke now and there is this odd mean attitude by non-smokers that smokers are stupid and not worthy of considering. they were shoved outside to smoke EVERYWHERE, then just recently, they are told to get several metres away from the entrances.

Break times for them at some businesses (one, mine) was cut out. they are told they must only smoke at lunchtime and once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

The same thing is happening here although the study points out that half as many are deterred by the written warning here, despite similar policies.
Some employers are adopting a policy of 'if you smoke, you don't work here' and people in my state have been fired from their jobs for testing positive for nicotine, hospitals in my area have banned smoking anywhere on the property for visitors and during work hours completely for employees (and that includes driving to work...employees may not appear at work with the smell of smoke on them at all). My company does not allow smoking anywhere on company property or within 50 feet of property lines (dismissal for violating the rule) and yet the majority of smokers didn't quit...they just walk around the block or go up to the city parking garage to have their smoke break (they can't take our breaks away..union shop, ya know..)
How's 'quit smoking or you lose your income' for a financial penalty? Still...some chose to continue smoking. Ah, the power of addiction to control behavior and choices.