View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 10:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I'd love to help you and share the changes I made. I already have a 3 page document (in smallish font!) in narrative form...must get that shaped into something easier than War & Peace. I will send it to you if you PM me with your email.

For Marty Kendall's more Nutrient Dense meals, I have a running joke with another moderator...his answer is always mackerel. One major change for me is I'm eating more fish and seafood, that is naturally leaner and has more nutrients like Omega 3 fats, selenium, magnesium, and more! not common in meats. I buy frozen fish fillets from Costco, bake the whole box at once and add to salads or veggies through the week, also canned wild-caught salmon, tuna, and gingerly adding in mackerel, sardines, etc. Nothing wrong with red meat but seafood is more nutrient dense, resulting in more satiety per calorie.

In a recent interview, Ted Naiman said for women having a hard time eating more protein…his P:E "cheat code" is: egg whites, protein powder, and low fat dairy, e.g. yogurt, cottage cheese.

The Protein section from my document:

"Protein: Lead with protein each meal, especially the first meal of the day. Increase gradually the Protein Percentage of your diet. All poultry, fish and shellfish, including canned wild salmon and small fish, are a great foundation for highly nutrient dense meals. Eggs are too, but limit whole eggs in an omelet to two, use egg whites for the rest. Whole hard boiled eggs can be a good snack. Use lean beef, ground beef 90% or leaner, lean sirloin, pork tenderloin. Look up macros for any protein, you may be surprised that 85% Lean ground beef is 54% fat! Avoid fatty roasts and steaks, instead, start with lean proteins and add healthy fats to them as needed. You can easily add fat to protein but it’s hard to take away. No bacon, sausage, pepperoni, hot dogs, nor any processed meats. Whey Protein is an easy low fat, high protein supplement to add to low fat dairy. Real food is preferred, but whey mixed with low fat/0% Fage yogurt or cottage cheese high in protein and calcium was satiating to me. As a 70 year old woman, my protein goal of 145 g based on my ideal weight, from only meat, chicken, fish and vegetables was difficult for me to reach without those dairy sources. Make the first meal in the day high in protein, with high satiety per calorie. Example of an easy recipe is 2 eggs, with lots of flavorful vegetables and a half cup egg whites (liquid from carton fine) or more, and leftover meat or fish. High protein, high nutrient density, high satiety per calorie. This protein forward first meal is so satiating, most days I only have two meals, around noon & 6pm, no snacks. My time restricted eating was determined according to my own hunger signals, based on my own blood sugar levels, not by a clock based on an arbitrary fasting schedule." That is..Data Driven Fasting

Check out some of the video and podcast interviews with Ted Naiman and Marty Kendall in those threads linked in the story. The podcasts with Bett Lucas are clear, basic, full of good tips for beginners. Marty and Ted are both interesting and fun speakers…one of my favorite interviews is the two together: https://youtu.be/ilduzDTFUlQ

Added to all this protein (and it is a lot!) are way more fiberous vegetables than I ate on the various low-carb plans I've followed the past decade. My favorite quick first meal was a pan of Costco Stir-Fry frozen vegetables ( the mix has orange and yellow carrots ) with whatever leftover meat, canned salmon or fish on hand. These meals are so satiating I did not miss cheese, fats, cream, etc. Forget the gooey ground beef casseroles with cream cheese and shredded cheddar, the Fathead pizza dough, and Chaffles. Check Marty's Instagram page for recipe ideas,https://www.instagram.com/martykendall76/, his recipe's are also on Pinterest, or make any of the Simple Protein plus Veggies Meals, samples on Dr. Naiman's weight loss version: https://energytoxicity.com/Tips.html
The P:E Diet book has many more meals, with again, very simple instructions, can't really call Ted's "recipes".

In the link about my first year with DDF, my P:E food choices were very simple. If it had a P:E ratio higher than 1, it was good to go. When I made 2 eggs for the nutrients in the yolk, the added egg whites improved both protein % and satiety. Most anything below 1 on this chart. https://proteinpercent.com/ was no longer on my menu. No bacon, cream cheese, cream, Swiss cheese, salami, pepperoni, etc. "Keto" popularity is way down because many who try it stall out above their goal, and way too many regain (I did). A plate of bacon, gooey casseroles, limited fiber and nutrients from low calorie vegetables, high fat high calorie foods do not provide enough satiety per calorie..

Dr Naiman: "Basically everyone that a primary care doctor meets in the real world would benefit immensely from attempting to double their protein and fiber grams while halving fat and non-fiber carb grams daily."