Thread: Bowl Muffins
View Single Post
  #60   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 09:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

So far we've tried three versions. They were all yummy but I think it still has potential for even more improvement. We did the brownie/cake version with almond flour, and we did the brownie/cake version with soy flour. (I liked the almond one better and my husband liked the soy flour version better LOL) And I made a microwave mini cheesecake version which was dangerously good! I think I still have a lot of experimenting left to do.

Hey Nancy, I know cornstarch isn't low carb but that's ok because my husband is 6ft tall and 150 lbs so if he can handle it and if it provides a smooth texture without an aftertaste and doesn't have the wheat gluten in it that will tear up his intestine then it's a good choice for him. Also, we have a large jar of xanthan gum (probably only need 1/2 tsp in bowl muffins). I plan to see how that helps with the texture of it. You're right though. Nothing really behaves the same way as wheat gluten. I'm staying away from the flax for him because he's not supposed to have a lot of fiber right now. He'll be able to try it after a while.

Hey Dawna I have actually heard of the gluten free mixes. However, my husband can't use them because he has a problem with rice flour which is what most of them use. (rice flour apparently has a more sticky, gummy like property than other gluten-free flours) But Ted can use potato flour and corn starch and corn flour and soy flour so I'll work with these and do what i can. Whey protein powder...I'm unsure about that because he can't handle any lactose (even the little bit in microwave popcorn for crying out loud!) Do you know if Whey protein has any lactose in it?

Thanks For all your help! I'll let you know if I come up with any thing Low Carb that's amazing!

Julie Huck