#6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 11:31

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I always found it amusing how synonymous Phinney and Volek's "nutritional ketosis" is with Atkins' "benign dietary ketosis."
Just yesterday I was reading something on r/ketoscience about how you need to eat masses more protein than you think (over 2.2 grams per kilogram of body weight) before it might start to interfere with ketosis. Immediately some keto bro responds with his n=1 and says "...it turns out I was technically following more of an atkins diet with high protein and fat. Typical day would be something like 140g protein, 20-30g carbs, and 190g fat. I started to follow a more strict, actual keto diet where at least 80% of my calories come from fat and my ketone levels shot up."

He sounded like a serious lifter, so 140g of protein is likely adequate for him, but that's a guess. No further information on whether reducing his protein helped him lose weight or fat, etc.

Why do people think that "keto" is some vastly different thing from low carb and that if you don't follow all the made up rules perfectly (20g net! Macros! High fat! Protein bad!) that you will not lose weight? And why do people continue to insist that getting adequate protein is a high protein diet?? It is sooo frustrating to me.