View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 18:28

Plan: Atkins - Bernstein
Stats: 218/203/170 Male 71 inches
BF:Yep!
Progress: 31%
Default Very Quick Mock Bread for Sandwiches

Well I just had to share this and I admit that it sounds a little strange. I am diabetic and a follower of Dr. Bernstein. I kept hearing him refer to Cheese Puffs and finally he explained what they were. This is an excellent replacement for bread to make sndwiches with, but you wouldn't believe it unless you tried it for yourself.

Take a slice of American Cheese (it has to be american, which is a water based product rather than a 'real' cheese which is based on milkfat) and place it on a paper plate that has been lightly sprayed with vegetable oil. Microwave for 45 sec to 90 seconds, depending on the power of your microwave. My microwave takes only 50 seconds, but he says a minute and a half in his (burned in mine at anything over 55 seconds). What happens is that the water in the cheese is forced out and you are left with a puffy piece of cheese that has almost a breadlike texture. I was amazed and am so happy to be able to make a sandwich again with almost no carb (.6 gram carb per slice of cheese).

Bernstein says to microwave it on a piece of freezer paper, but I don't have any and wonder if they still make it. So I had to use the paper plate with cooking spray.

A couple of trials to get the time right and I now have it perfected.

Joe
Sponsored Links