#37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Yes, I do think that a gallon of water a day is a lot. I get 2 liters, sometimes a bit more, and my urine is only concentrated first thing in the morning when I get up and have had nothing to drink for 7 hours or more. For me, "drink water until you float" means about 2 liters. For some it could mean more, for others less. Telling someone to "drink water until you float" isn't very precise which is where the 2 liters a day recommendation comes in. Consider also, that when people talk about increasing water consumption due to higher protein intake, that the vast majority of people don't even get those eight glasses of water per day (maybe half that at most!), so 2 liters would be an increase for them! Quite honestly, before I started low carbing, I could go days without drinking any water and drank only coffee and diet pop instead.

Water is the substance of life. Life cannot exist without Water. We must constantly be adding fresh water to our body in order to keep it properly hydrated. The body is comprised of over 70% water.This ratio must be maintained for good health. Water is the most important thing we can put inside our bodies. It is difficult for the body to get water from any other source than water itself. Soft drinks and alcohol steal tremendous amounts of water from the body, however, even other beverages such as coffee, milk and juice require water from the body to be properly digested. It plays a vital role in nearly every bodily function. and is essential for proper digestion, nutrient absorbtion and chemical reactions, circulation in the body, and flexibility of the blood vessels. It also helps remove toxins (acidic waste) from the body, in particular from the digestive tract. Water regulates your body's temperature, imagine a car running without water in the radiator. Consistent failure to drink enough water can lead to Chronic Cellular Dehydration. This condition where the body's cells do not get hydrated enough leaving them in a weakened state, and vulnerable to disease processes. It weakens the body's overall immune system and leads to chemical, nutritional and pH imbalances.
Dehydration can occur at any time of the year, not only during the summer months when it is hot or due to excercise. The dryness that occurs during winter can dehydrate the body quicker than when it is hot, one of the main causes being central heating and a dry atmosphere in the home. The other being not drinking enough water. (ERASED THE COMMENT ON CHOLERA)
There is a General Rule for water intake:

we should drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day to provide your body with its MINIMUM water replacement requirements as long as you are reasonably fit. Otherwise swe shoul start by sipping the water and gradually build up.

My body weight is 216 lbs/2 = 107.8 fl. ounces X .0295lts = 3.18 liters MINIMUM
(I understand that not all of us weight 216 pounds)

Your body weight is 190lbs/2 = 95 fl ounces x .0295 lts = 2.80 liters should be your MINIMUM water intake.

I know that overweight people has to increase their water intake.

Quote:
I'm also wondering why the focus on protein metabolism since that is not where the majority of our energy source is coming from. It's coming from fat!

I think that you are only refering to the 1st phase of the Atkins diet. If there is no ketosis, then our main source of energy comes from carbs and proteins, right?

Quote:
Telling someone to "drink water until you float" isn't very precise which is where the 2 liters a day recommendation comes in.

Are you referring at the post I made in the Atkins Sub-forum in the Gallon + Drinkers? I agree that is not precise. I even Quoted or said : As Atkins mentions in his DANDR book . Did not make an imperative order. Ithink thatIeven asked a question there ... and you replied it.
If every time I post something I have to be very very precise, I would go Nuts in this Forum!!!

Lets use the "formula" you are using recommended by the ATKINS CENTER:

64 oz x 8 oz for every 25lbs of BF.

Let's see how much water intake (MINIMUM ) you should be drinking.

64oz = 1.88 liters (LBM)

Maybe your BF is made of 70 lbs + 24 oz = .708 ml

Your minimum water intake would be: 2.58 liters of water/day!!!!

We are not calculating exercise, nor weather condition, etc.

Overweight people need to drink more water.

Quote:
Think about it...are you losing 10 pounds or more a week at this point? Five? I know I'm not, so where is this "severe fluid loss" that the article you posted speaks of? Water is heavy, so if you are losing a lot of it, you would drop weight rapidly as well as showing obvious signs of dehydration. A liter of water weighs over 2 pounds; most people lose about that much weight in a week. All water? Not according to my fat percentage analysis!

We carry in our body an average of 45 liters of water and it needs to be constantly renewed. FAT during Ketosis is Flushed out, but thanks to water intake, not to mention other toxines etc.... Imagine that someone was not drinking not even close to 64 oz!!! What would happen?

I have seen many people in this forum that do not stay on ketosis only for two weeks, but for much longer periods of time ( I have been in ketosis for the past 4 months).
We do not only lose water by the urea tract, but also by breathing, the skin, , the controlling of our body temperature...etc, etc.
Only when we breath, we lose about .800 liters of water a day!

/ becky: Well, enough for me for today. Lisa, Up you water intake! (Just Joking)