View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-19, 13:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

One historical correction about Dr Fung introducing fasting for Diabetes treatment.... it was commonly used, as were low carb diets, in the 1920s! The 1919 Diabetes Treatment manual by Elliott Joslin has a section on it starting page 93, described page 96.
"Fasting is never so rigorous as the doctor or patient expect"

https://archive.org/details/adiabet...kngoog/page/n96

"Fasting does not seem like Fasting if the patient is given coffee, tea ... and Broth . " Nothing new in 100 years!

My favorite suggestion was patient does not need to stay in bed, neither forced to be up....Reclining in a Steamer Chair" seems a lovely compromise to me.

And this... the duration of fasting needed cannot be established beforehand by the BG reading, rather the treatment must be individual. It is surprising how variable, one patient can remove all Glucose by four skipped meals (the
highly recommended 36-42 hour fast) or take up to 3 or 4 days (also a common Fung recommended fast period of 1-2 days beyond dreaded 48 hour fast. At 4 days, add back protein, more food, fast intermittently if sugar returns to urine). So nothing new here either! I was surprised by the concept of using fasting for diabetes when Fung arrived on the scene in 2014...but his protocols are in the most famous diabetes treatment book of early 20th century.

There is nothing new, except what has been forgotten – Marie Antoinette