View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-13, 05:39

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Kristy

First, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I too had a very difficult time getting pregnant and miscarrying, so I know the worry you have right now. Hard as it is, do try to relax and enjoy the process.

Symptoms in early pregnancy often come and go, many women have none, some have them nonstop - and everything in between. Try not to worry!

Unfortunately, constipation is a very very common symptom in pregnancy, probably made worse if you already had it from your diet. Maybe try some of the flaxseed or chia seeds? The exhaustion is also a very typical symptom, in particular in the first trimester.

I believe the upper levels of Atkins OWL are recommended during pregnancy - basically more fruits and veggies, which it sounds like what you're doing. There was a nutrition tracker on the sister site to Sparkpeople for pregnancy (I think it's called 'babyfit' that I found reassuring in early pregnancy because you could see your foods lined up against the recommendations.

Today personally I'd be comfortable avoiding starches and sugars in pregnancy but would up the fruits and veggies considerably and I think I'd try to stay out of ketosis (just because I don't think there is any proof ketosis is safe for the fetus). But I'm not a medical professional and this is justmy personal opinion. I think you'll have a hard time finding a low-carb-friendly doctor during pregnancy, but of you instead talk of avoiding processed foods, flour and sugar I think most would be supportive.

Good luck - and sending you lots of sticky dust.