Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/193/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:BMI 36.8/32/23.5
Progress: 49%

Dear Galadriell and others reading this,

Galadriell quotes one of my posts in the thread "Oil Fast:"

For example if you check the Oil Fast thread, you will see Homesar's experience, who did something similar (mixing fast with induction).
As you can see he lost less and less as time went by, and the induction was enough only to maintain his weight.
FF1: seven days, lost 8 pounds
__17 days on induction, maintained weight
FF2: four days, lost 5 pounds
__11 days in induction, maintained
FF3: four days, lost 3 pounds

You can see many similar experience from fasting people, the amount of weight they are loosing decreases very fast day by day.

Galadriell draws a conclusion from the data I offered which turns out to be incorrect in my case. Since I posted that data, I have done one more fat fast (and am beginning yet another one today). In the most recent fat fast, I was on it for six days and lost six pounds. What this additional data suggests (at least for how fat fasts work on my metabolism) is this -- that I get a bigger bang for my fasting buck if I make sure the fast is five or six days.

This might be confirmed by the color of my ketostix, which show small to moderate ketone leves at the beginning of the fat fast (which is to be expected, since I'm already in ketosis when I begin the fat fast), but on day five the ketostick turns very dark purple and remains that way for the remainder of the fast. I do not know if ketone levels correlate with the amount of fat burning going on -- so I hesitate to draw any certain conclusions. IF there is a correlation, then the data suggests I am burning more fat later in the fat fast than in its beginning.

This, then, would account for the data Galadriell quoted from my earlier post -- i was losing less on each fat fast (for those three consecutive times) because I was doing each fat fast for a shorter and shorter period of time. Once I did a fat fast for at least five days (six days, actually), my resultant weight loss was pretty much what it was for the first fat fast -- slightly over a pound a day of weight loss.

Homesar