View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 196/196/196 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Thank you Gonwtwindo for that, but we don't always have the same products here in New Zealand.
Talking vegetarian for the moment, I've read the book "The China Study" by T Colin Campbell and it discusses 45 years of thorough research into diet using China and other countries and the research showed meat, fat, dairy & eggs to be extremely harmful to your health in many ways. He talks about diseases of affluence (heart attacks, diabetes, cancer) and diseases of poverty Tuberculosis, malnutrition etc) and in fact a high carb diet (provided its whole fruit & vegetables) not donuts and cream cakes, without meat, fat, dairy and eggs to be absolutely fine for diabetics and in fact has restored peoples health.
I'm 58 years old so I have concerns about a diet being high in fat. I don't need to encourage a heart attack. I've also read the book "Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr and in that book studies have shown any fat, good or bad brings on heart pain in people that have heart problems and that fat actually inflames the inner walls of the arteries.
In saying all this a low carb diet has worked for me in the past and I've lost as much as 35kg before, but I'm struggling now.
I love to flavour my stir fries with a tsp grated ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chives. These add carbs. I love mushrooms but have to watch the carbs.
I've just read the book by Rose Elliott, called The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet but she doesn't use much tofu as she does eggs and cheese. A recipe called vegetarian quiche used 6 eggs and 6oz cheese just to get the protein grams up to 80 for the day. This kind of goes against the reason I was looking into a vegetarian low carb diet. That would be as constipating as the meat version.
I'll have to persevere and try different things to help with constipation as I really need to get my weight off.