View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 19:58

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Good question. All you can change is you anyway, so what CAN you do? How much can you decline to participate, be nice, and say, no thanks for me right this second, I'm working on a different eating plan"

Sounds like your son needs something like Wheat Belly. Does your DH experience the pain of seeing how hungry the son is, or is it all on you? would he be willing to try a test and see if his own kid is happier not being hungry all the time?

At meals -

What are you in control of? Menu planning? who makes the grocery list? who fixes meals, makes lunches? If DH comes home with snacks, can you put them off to one side and not be part of it?

Can you say, "hey, we are a family that has obesity going on. It's mom and dad's job to provide the food, and in our family, we are cutting back on starch and sugar". Or even "as the mom, I am not going to be serving huge amounts of starch and sugar." If the guys also want to exercise they can. (and then you cut back more and more as you add more and more fat and protein and veg)

Can you help your son make connections between how he eats, and how he feels? Kids as young as 4 and 5 can learn that if they have a carby breakfast with no protein, they feel hungry and weepy in an hour or two. They can be taught about learning protein, carb, and veg, and they can pay attention to how they feel later.

Can you have them help plan good meals, using pictures? You get to say they have to include adequate protein, veg, and whatever starch you have to. And they get to choose what kind of protein veg and starch.
They can learn what is protein, carb, and veg.

Can you teach them that every time they want a carb, they have to eat protein with it and eat the protein first? can you say they can't have starch and sugar that's bigger than the protein?

As to your question - "when my husband brings home treats, I say to the kids "No, you can't have that even though you're looking straight at it...here you thought you would have this fun thing and now Mommy is going to take it away"

I would say, "oh I see Dad brought a treat. hm how do we eat treats - with protein first, with a meal, or let's save that for our next treat window" (end of next meal)

I would make a deal with DH first on what works for you with treats. No fair if he gets his program and you get none of yours. And if you can't agree with each other, then can you agree on a program for the kids. (mine would be, We don't eat them between meals because that increases the addictive hit. We have them after meals. And they count in the total starch and sugar allowance.)"