Old Mon, Dec-10-18, 09:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good thoughts, Martin . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Rob, crowd response used to be very slow, now it's lightning quick cuz of intarwebs. However, it's only quick for those of us, like everybody on this forum for example cuz we're on the webs ya, who actually check those intarwebs. It's still snail pace for the rest of us, cuz TV monolith and such.

I believe the "big" information that is distant from most paying attention to everyday life, such as details of health and nutrition, is dispensed by the "experts" and supported by the "anointed" takes a long time to change. This is the current nature of our world. To change this it's a combination of new research, N=1 experiences, and the death of those "authorities/anointed" who embrace previously held beliefs. It's always a good idea to question authority to the point where one is satisfied that the authority knows about which they speak.
Quote:
On the tangent of who can you trust, consider that the effort put into old school reporting used to be tremendous cuz it was more or less a monopoly, thus highly profitable. Today, there's so little profit cuz of mass switch from traditional outlets to those famous intarwebs (which isn't a monopoly by far, though some have tried real hard, and failed, i.e. AoL), even long standing respectable institutions publish utter garbage just for clicks. So, the balance of trust got equalized in favor of n=1's, not that n=1's are now more trustworthy, but big houses are now less so. Grammar and syntax and logical errors are common these days, even from the big names.

Quote:
I like Tom, he's funny and makes a lot of sense in that lecture (or stand-up? he is a comedian). But then I'm highly biased and probably just aware of the topic and that's why he's funny to me. Not sure it would go that well for somebody who's hardcore about arterycloggingsaturatedfat and hearthealthywholegrains, a few of which I've personally met and I promise you nothing will change their mind no matter how sick and fat they get.

And that's why I posted the link in this forum. You're right, audience matters to topical humor and irony. The media is out of control due to the expanded competition. The principles of journalism, if ever followed rigorously, are now completely gone, particularly attribution of information to the correct person. Grammar? We no longer know what that is.
Quote:
The one thing that sticks out to me is the Anointed telling us to shaddup, which they do in every way imaginable. And I agree with Tom that it ain't gonna happen no way no how, cuz intarwebs and such, ya. Anybody remember the public request for comments about the upcoming nutritional guidelines "overhaul"? Well, that's one way they tried. This would be the "I'll let you speak your mind to give you the illusion that I'm listening so you'll finally shut up about that, then I'll do what I want" strategy, which it was and which they did.

I think that's exactly how this has worked in the past and don't see anything changing until reputations and employment are threatened by new, widely held beliefs based on new findings.