#31   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Indulgences

What is interesting about this tread is that there are so many similarities, and so many varieties in the foods that cause problems. We all have some triggers that may cause problems for us. Determining what those foods are is an individual thing - then determining how we will respond to them is also an individual thing. I used to LOVE my breads and baked goods - lived for them Since starting my lcwol, haven't had a single piece of bread - whether low carb or not. I just don't trust myself, after going through the "withdrawal" period. And, I now realize that I probably am "sensitive" to wheat, so I am so much healthier when I just stay away from it. It is interesting though, that very small amounts don't seem to bother me, or turn on any cravings - for that I am thankful.
I still hate to pass a really good bakery - more for the memories of what I think they used to taste like, or do for me - but I don't let my resolve waver. I sometimes even cross to the other side of the street, to avoid the sight and smells that eminate - why test myself when I don't have to?
I have also learned in my recent research that most commercially baked goods have what is called "hydrogenated" fats in them, and these things are poison for our bodies - it also helps me to keep my resolve, cause I want to continue to feel and be healthy It is really wonderful at 50+ to feel better than I did when I was in my 20's - a REALLY BIG motivator for me!
I do allow myself some lc baking - that I do myself, so I know exactly what is in the item that I eat. I use splenda when I bake and find that it works for me, without any cravings or need to splurge. I just watch what I put in my mouth very carefully, and use nuts and other lc snacks to keep me going between meals.
I have started having serious doubts about all the lc bars on the market - I use them on a regular basis, but never more than one a day - still the recent research on the hidden carbs really makes me mad. And when you check the labels, they all say that because "glycerine is not a carbohydrate, it is not included in the carb count" - I don't know how they can get away with this sort of dishonesty. Ithought that the USDA was going to come down on them for the labelling - maybe it still is
Anyway, we each have to do the best we can with our individual metablolisms, cravings and solutions. It sure does help to have a forum like this one to air our thoughts, and get such great support.
Cheers
Sponsored Links