#13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 14:15

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
If you don't mind, estimate your frequency and amount prior to elevated numbers. I'm curious. I was a heavy drinker as well. My liver numbers are fine now but the damage has been done according to ultrasound and MRI.

The liver is an amazing thing. It can take a lot of abuse over a time... until it can't. I'm not trying to dissuade or judge your alcohol consumption - but trading those alcohol calories for good food calories is possibly not a smart recipe for healthfully loosing weight; your stated primary goal.

My hope is for you to succeed in getting to that goal!

Thanks Thud,

No...common sense and alcoholism, or any substance dependency, including food, do not go hand in hand. Just like my teachers in school told me of I only applied myself I could get outstanding grades. Problem was, I hated school, not the learning, but the structure, days organized by bells and buzzers, being herded like livestock...People who know me, and my wife specifically will say the weirdest thing about me is people consider me very smart in general and when I set my mind on a goal, I'm good at sticking with it.

Alcohol is not something I have succeeded in permanently controlling. I think I know why. I dont really want to. I love drinking. The only thing that even makes me want to stop or moderate is medical numbers and doctors advice, the fact that at my age its starting to take its toll on me and I feel unhealthy after saturating with the stuff for months on end...and everybody tells me I shouldn't drink as much in general. Not because I get violent or wake up in the front yard naked..or any sociological reasons, just because a normal person looks at me and says "dayum, thats a lot of booze, you shouldn't drink that much...according to...everyone". Otherwise I would never consider not drinking.

I'm not good at keeping a journal, its not one of my disciplines, But I'll see if I can get some lab numbers. I've been meaning to get a hold of my previous doctor's records on me and I plan to look in to getting my own lab tests done independently of my doctors office. Now that I cant afford health insurance as of this year, I can elect to spend my medical dollars anywhere I want, and was told I should be able to request my own labs if I want...and just pay cash which is about half of what I pay on an insurance deductible in most medical practices.

What I do know, is a couple years ago, my doctor said "whoa, your liver numbers have gone way up" and she asked me to abstain for three months and get another test. After 3 months the numbers were back down to normal "for me". My last labs end of 2017 at the height of an alcohol saturation period right before I started this diet on the new year, showed elevated but not danger numbers and I had to ask about them, the doctor didn't even bring it up, and this is a new doctor that doesn't even know my liver number are usually high and thats been the case as well as a fatty liver since I was a teenager before I had decades of drinking under my belt.