#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 06:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/209/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Eades new book VS Atkins Induction - Insights

Ok, so NO I'm not posting in the wrong section. I am an Atkins "believer" - but I read a lot about different (and especially, complementary) WOE's. I have always been rather impressed with the Eades (Protein Power) - and find great similarity to Atkins. This weekend I bought their new book (the one about a 6 Week Cure).

I think it's great! And you know why? For ME, it pulls together the best tips from here on the Atkins board. It's very similar to "Induction". It uses two really helpful ideas - I read about "egg creams" here on this board (and used them) - as well as "the meat fast". Well this incorporates both of these tools and/or principles. In fact, I just see it as a refined, focused "Extended Induction" plan!

The basis of the idea is that you need to hit hard at losing (they have a very humorous background story about what prompted them to write the book), especially if you have a lot of increased "belly fat" and/or have a lot of stalls. The premise is 2 weeks of 3 "shakes a day" (egg creams more or less) and 1 low carb meal - at any meal of the day you want - then 2 weeks of pretty close to a "meat fast" - and then 2 weeks of "going up the rungs" as in Atkins. They state clearly also that if you have a lot to lose, just cycle the program - 1 week on shake plan followed by 1 week on meat plan until you begin to get close to where you want to be (extended induction).

The shakes are simple - Cream, water, stevia/splenda, protein powder (i use Biochem unflavored), l-leucine (read up on it) powder, ice. Then they give a lot of recipes for flavors - and suggest adding an egg (especially for women). They have recipes - which we here on Atkins really don't "need" (we can easily convert once you see that their menus for the first two weeks are similar to induction - just with a bit of low carb fruit perhaps) - but some of the food is quite good.

So, for this last week I have tried it. I can't always do the 3 shakes a day (not hungry enough!) - But I've found that the Atkins Egg Cream lovers on here were really onto something! It works for me. I switch them up -- then in the evening, have a simple dinner (meat, small veg, salad, and i skip the fruit).

I've been on a stall - and result? Ive lost 3 pounds. I think this really just refines the Atkins Induction Phase SO WELL. It's a twist that I think is helpful for those that are stalled, or know (suspect?) they have Insulin Resistance. It helps with the "set point" theory as they point out - by swapping weekly plans, you change up the calorie contents - fooling your body and not letting it think you are "starving"....One more week on the shakes, and I'm onto the "mostly meat" phase - and will see what happens.

Atkins told me these tricks first -- this book just refined it, tweaked it, and put it together pretty nicely. It was a good read, and helped me really embrace the atkins concept, and the LC concept in general.
Sponsored Links