Old Wed, Oct-18-06, 07:52
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeninaustr
I'm looking for some direction here - does anyone have some experience with a normal TSH (on the extreme low end), low FT3 and a normal FT4. I've been putting on weight since the fall despite regular exercise and some degree of dieting. My doctor said if my TSH is normal then I don't have a thyroid problem - I have other hormone problems (PCOS), but these newer symptoms are getting worse/changing. Hypotension, anemia, night sweats, some type of hot flash during the day when under stress, consitipation, fingers falling asleep, unexplained fatigue - daily, and major major mood swings, very tense and on edge. I can sleep 12 hours at night and take a 2 hour nap anytime. I've been told it's depression since I'm living in a foreign country, but honestly, it's almost 8 years here in Austria, I know the language and we actually really like it here. As I've adjusted, have friends, a great marraige and healthy kids, and my symptoms have only worsened. I also had a real bad phase of allergies - had never had them before, and let me say, hives everyday, asthma, the running nose, itching eyes etc. - that lasted over a year, 5 doctors and 24 prescriptions later with no named cause except stress (2 years ago); now better. I tried to see if it was hormone related and my doctor again said - just stress. This is just not normal - on prozac I feel emotionally better, but the physical symptoms don't change. I sought out a different doctor and will have a TRH test this week - what else should I pursue - could this be a secondary hypothyroid problem - a pituitary problem?? I'd appreciate any answers

Jen in Austria

Defintitely have the TRH test. Just because your levels are "normal" doesn't mean you don't have a thyroid issue. Seek out an internist if possible. Are you on any prescriptions now? A lot of allergy medications are steroids and will cause you to gain weight, change your hair color and even affect your vision. There's lots of strange things that steroids can do.