#9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 08:46
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Dr. Hall added, “I would love it to be true that there was a diet combination of carbs and fats that led to large increases in energy expenditure — and I really hope it is true. But I think there are reasons to question whether or not it is.”.

There is. It's all there in the data. Low carb is it.

Quote:
The subjects on the low-carb diet also had the sharpest declines in a hormone called ghrelin, which is produced in the stomach. Ghrelin promotes hunger and body fat, and it lowers energy expenditure. Suppressing ghrelin may be one reason the low-carb diet increased metabolism, the authors noted.

When I eat low carb I eat less and exercise more. You can question the reasons why until the cows come home. But isn't it the results that count? So far the standard dietary advice of the past 30+ years has lead to a health catastrophe. I can't believe that the nay-sayers are still going on record to defend it.

Quote:
What the researchers found was striking. The roughly 250 extra calories that the subjects in the low-carb group burned each day could potentially produce a 20-pound weight loss after three years on the diet, Dr. Ludwig said. People who tended to secrete higher levels of insulin did the best on the low-carb diet, burning about 400 extra calories a day.

It is oft quoted that we are all different. Gary has been in the forefront to make it understood that all calories are not the same. But it is also true that people respond differently to the same calories. Some secrete more insulin that others. That's big -- and I do think that I am one of those people. So if the nay-sayers have an out, they could concede that a low carb diet may be the appropriate choice for those more sensitive to carbs -- namely those with metabolic/IR issues that are the focal point of this health crisis. Why try to come up with one universal "healthy" diet for all when it is actually the sick people that need a solution that works. For years I tried to eat and exercise like the healthy people so that I would be healthy, too. It didn't work.